Fly Fishing Forum banner

Forget It!

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Well, with all that talk about me looking into buying a SEAMASTER reel, I called today and was going to place the order for a Mark lll. The owner tells me that He builds them to order and it would take 6 months for me to get it... needed to put 50% down... also the original price I thought was about $1300... now I am told it's $1590. Forget it!

#4 ·
DOCUMENTATION!

John - document this "non-purchase" for future reference!

The next time you get veto-ed by the Mrs. just pull it out and say, "But I've already saved us 1500! Buying this (object of desire) is only gonna reduce the profit by X dollars."

Be warned she may want to take the balance of the "profit" for herself - take her to dinner for the discussion, that way you can treat her and still get funding.

"Age & treachery will out smart youth & agility" somethinglikethat

#5 ·
I never really got Sea Master reels. They are beautiful. They are finished better than any reel. They are smooth and built like tanks. But they are so expensive...and heavy...and what about large arbor?
Then, one day at BoneFish Bob's I saw the reel deal. It was an old one in mint condition. Smoother than a Swiss watch. And what was your option back in the day? A Pfluger? Wow! Those Sea Masters paved the way. Still, you would never fish with that collectors item. It would be like fishing a mint Garrison bamboo. I think that the modern Sea Master is like a modern Bamboo rod. Not better, but nicer.
Next time any of you are in Isla Morada, stop in to Bone Fish Bob's and have a look @ that old Sea Master. You will find religion.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: DOCUMENTATION!

Sprocket said:
John - document this "non-purchase" for future reference!

The next time you get veto-ed by the Mrs. just pull it out and say, "But I've already saved us 1500! Buying this (object of desire) is only gonna reduce the profit by X dollars."

Be warned she may want to take the balance of the "profit" for herself - take her to dinner for the discussion, that way you can treat her and still get funding.

"Age & treachery will out smart youth & agility" somethinglikethat
Dear NumbNuts:

A: He didn't get ratted out, nor was his desire to obtain a SEAMASTER vetoed - as this SEAMASTER yearning was only a dream - no reason to worry about any 'Mrs.' knowing anything about a dream sequence. Ergo, no reason or responsibility to qualify Profit/Loss statements.

B: The above admonition (hereinafter known as 'A'), applied in proper context, qualifies that which you attempted to quote, miserably, I might add, which states:

"Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Skill"

#8 ·
Well....incase Fix and Todd feel sorry for me.. Now I will use my savings to get the Sage XP and Abel super 6.... after the Powell Tiberon. Otherwise the money will disapear on something like redoing by cottage floor... that can wait... believe me.

#9 ·
John, what are you going to put on the Super 6? You can get a seven weight and 200yds of 35# gel spun.
Having said that, a Super 5 is lighter, has a similar capacity and has a greater diameter when all the line is off(the advantages of a wider arbor). It doesn't look as sexy as the 6 though, and with the 3N spool, the 6 doubles as one of the best reels for an eight weight.
I have both and they are the best.

#14 ·
Large Arbor Advantage

This thread offered some good suggestions but here is my situation. I have 8 and 10 wt rods now and am looking to add a nice 9 wt to the mix this winter. I have a Bauer M4 and a Tibor Riptide. I have gel spun backing on both so I am able to fit a 375gr sink tip on the Bauer and use it with the ten wt. I am getting a third reel as a gift and have narrowed it down to the Abel Super 8 with a spare #3 spool or the Super 11. Taking the large arbor factor out of it I think the Super 8 option offers the most versatility but I want to make sure I have a real that I can use on the 10wt and mabe an 11 or twelve in the future. How much advantage do you loose by going to the #3 traditional arbor. Since this is a very expensive real I have dreams of maybe a Giant Trevally or Tarpon on it in the future. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

#18 ·
Sean,

Look into a Lamson instead of that Abel. The Coral Camo ain't going to help you hook any more fish and I sincerely doubt anything that swims could toast the conical drag on the Litespeed/Velocity. Light, sealed drag and nearly maintenance-free for those of us that might be just a tad bit lazy :hehe:

John - see if you can locate a Powell LG (Legend) to cast next to that Tiboron. You're welcome to take my 909 for a test drive anytime.

Dave

#19 ·
For an incredible performance/price value in large arbor reels, it's hard to beat Ross reels, Lamson; or in the next bracket Bauer, etc.

But if you want to see high-end technology, beauty and toughness all in one package check out the LOOP Evotech HD large arbor!

http://www.sportangler.com/eng/showroom/reels/evotecHD.htm

#20 ·
John, unless the economy makes a startling turn-around, there is not even a half-a-Seamaster in my immediate future.

Speaking of bulletproof value though, my next reel is coming from Australia. This guy Terry Hayden has only been selling reels for about five years, but in that time, he has NEVER had a single reel come back with a failure. He also has used one reel weekly in the salt for five years without ever rinsing it in fresh water and it still has no signs of corrosion. And if that is not enough, can you believe 25lbs of drag pressure?

http://www.flyreels.com.au/index.htm

A good friend of mine has been chasing IGFA record yellowfin all around the world with this reel, and he says it is the only reel other than his $ 1,600 Charlton that he trusts. Check out the lever-drag ant-reverse with repeatable drag settings.

Check out the prices!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.