Fly Fishing Forum banner

Good day for hooky

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  vtloon 
#1 · (Edited)
Man it's fall, things are going off all up and down the North Shore. What's killing me is the tides are going out hard at first light. Perfect! Except I got to work.
I feel a sniffle coming on. After this week, tides get mushy again. Then, we get about 1 more week after that. Get em while it's hot.

Lefty

#3 ·
Which Hooky ?

Yeah, it's that Fall time of year. Not only " Do I play hooky; but, in which direction"?
It's October, so Lake Memphremagog's big Rainbows and the Clydes Landlocks are calling from the North; being taunted by Rip trips to the South; and still two more races to do here in Vermont.

All this has to happen before hand surgery mid-month: Help!

#4 ·
Couldn't play hooky but I cut my last class :devil:
Took my wife out in Plymouth ~5pm - It's ON! I couldn't see what they were on but my better half was quick to point out that they were eating little fish:hihi: gotta love it.

I was planning on going in the AM tomorrow but it's going to be fog city.

#5 ·
Yeah, I've been feeling a cough coming on too... I've got two sick days burning a hole in my pocket. :)
vtloon said:
All this has to happen before hand surgery mid-month: Help!
What possessed you to schedule hand surgery for possibly the best time of year for fishing? :confused:

#7 ·
So I bolted the office mid afternoon and also talked Grego (another renegade) into a meeting with the "dock". Went to Lynn Harbor hoping for fish stacked up in the lee of the East wind.
Very boatable conditions but dead dead dead. Sigh, ah fall. Intel is key.

Only thing we saw was this guy launches a 12' tin boat for just an hour. He pulls in a 37" with a tube n worm rig and goes home. They were there, but we are still learning the area, or maybe we just suck?

Seems to be a slight lull up north.

Seems like everyone I talk to is going to burn a vacation day (or something..cough..sniffle) this Friday.

#8 ·
I had to have serious hand surgery last Thanksgiving. Ligaments blown right off the bones on my thumb (karate incident) and they were retracting so time was of the essence.

If it was not done quickly they would have to cut out other parts of the body to use as the bungee cord because the old one rolled up.

So I hope your situation is not like that but there was no pickin' and choosing of dates in my case.

Anyway my casting hand was strong for the spring clave and I've hung up karate to pursue my interrupted guitar playing interests. Luckily the surgery has restored the hand structurally and I can strum away comfortably. Neighbors might wish I hadn't but thats another story! :lildevl:

#9 ·
Out again this morning before, OK during work.
I awoke to find a solid fog as I looked out the front door. In the Summer I'd normally pass on a morning like this but with less boats out, 61F, and knowing the fish would be going ballistic I jumped in the truck the boat still hooked up from the night before.

At the ramp the fog was about as dense as it gets, I launched knowing I wouldn't be going far. Never got it over 7mph today and arrived to blitzing bass and blues after a 10 minute putter. Pretty much fish after fish once you gave them what they wanted.

#11 ·
Surgery Re-schedule

Just managed a surgery re- sked: now it's too far out, but I can work on moving it in. I can't close or hold with my left middle or ring fingers (It was that way during rip-trip and boneclave), but can still cast.

Now I can work on a family camping trip down there 18 - 20 Oct or so. Jim W has pointed out a couple of campgrounds in Brewster. I will bring down at least 1 kayak; will put out a call for intel closer in. Any chance of a rip-trip that late?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.