Fly Fishing Forum banner

ARE YOU READY SEATTLE?!?

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Steve K. 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
For once in a very long time I truly don't have a vested interest in either team that will be playing in the big game. On the one hand you have Seattle, who has never been to the big dance. And on the other you have Pittsburgh, with Jerome Bettis finally getting there and playing in front of his hometown in what could be the final game of his career.

I just hope for a good, close game that will be more entertaining than the commercials. :wink:

#4 ·
Sorry guys, but it's Pittsburgs year. After going 15-1 last year they bounced back from injuries this year to end the season with a strong run, then beat the best of the best on the road (remember cincinatti, Indianapolis and Denver? Whupped em all in their own houses!) I'd like to see the hawks get there too but they weren't so terribly dominating at the end there, they just did enough to get her done. Steelers look like world beaters.

#5 ·
From a guy who has bled black and gold for 30+ years,I hope they get it done.
You got to love Cower; the Jaw, the spit, the enthusiasm! Would love to see him finally get his due and Bettis is one of the NFL's class act's. They are definatly the last of of the "old school" franchises. Should be a good game I'm ready!!!!

#7 ·
NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

The bus only ran for 368 yards all year and Parker 1202, combined were less than Alexander's 1,880 yards. Touchdown totals for both were (9 + 4) for 13 td's - less than half of Shaun's 28 TD's this season. I love the bus but Cower's chin is going to get more total yards and I see Alexander putting two into the end zone on the ground in addition to the potent Seattle air attack which will add two more before Josh Brown's field goals for a healthy win.

The defense is equally credited for their making it to the big game, Seattle has a flying Samoan too but cleancut rookie of the year candidate who destroyed Carolina. Seattle led the league in sacks this season and big Ben is not going to get away with all the near-miss dropped interceptions he has lucked into for the last three games with this Seattle backfield who has proven to have sticky hands against a much more potent passing game when Carolina came to call.

Clearly Seattle is the better of the two teams and the high Steeler's emotion alone will not overcome the better played game by the better team. Hasselbeck is making decisions as sharp as Tom Brady out there and no team balances the run and the air attack as well as Seattle while spreading the ball around to as many as 10 receivers in one game.

On any given day anyone can win but I think the better team will take it, and with the 18 Super bowl rings just on the Seattle coaching staff Holmgrens boys will lead the team to a handy victory.

Besides I am donating all of my winnings to a 15 year olfd karate student in my class who was chosen to represent US in a tournament in Osaka Japan. Her father recently passed away and without our help she can not go.

GO SEAHAWKS

#8 ·
OK now you've done it! What division do the Seagulls I mean Seahawks play in the NFC west? So they play the niners,cardnials, and rams twice pretty good teams to beaf up your stats against. They did beat Indy but I don't think anyone can really count that. They lost to Jackson ille wich I think would be thier strongest AFC opponent The Steelers also lost to Jacksonville But Tommy Maddox thru 3 interseptions one in OT for a touchdown. Pittsburgh is a different team with Ben. Now I'm not a trash talker but I think Seattle may also be a little light on the defensive line. To be honest I think the only chance they have on offense is the quick passing game.

As far as the better team ask Cincinnati, Indy,and the Broncos who is the most physical defense they played all year. And no one can argue that the Steelers offence is scary I see thunder and lightning pushing right through Seattle and Ben is hot right now.

As far as coaches go Cowher has consitantly done more with less than any other coach in the league. Who get s to 4 AFC championships with a rookie, Maddox and Kordel Stewart. This time he finally has the weapons.

Hey, thats why they play the game to be honest if it was any other team besides the Steelers playing your hawks I 'd probably be rooting for them. I see the Steelers in a close one eventually wearing down the Gulls (Hawks).

#9 ·
All in good sportsmanship of course...

but to hear you say that the Seattle ground game is not going to be part of the winning equation for Seattle birds of prey is interesting... league MVP, most touchdowns in the history of football, 5 pro bowl starters on offense, in addition to the power air attack which is formidable to say the least. Even the back up backs are crushing runners and behind that all-pro offensive line they will get it done as they did even when Shaun was knocked out of the game during the playoffs.

I think Seattle will in fact establish the run, and that will be lights out for the avg 3 yards per running play steelers. It's Pitt that has to worry about their running game. Ben will have to pass to win, and the leads leading sackers on the Seattle defense will wreak havoc causing turnovers and 3 and outs if the steelers stick to their weak running game with easy field position for the potent Seattle offense.

When the whole package is tallied the talent is lopsided in favor of Seattle, and if they execute there will be no question who the champions are. It all boils down to execution.

#12 ·
Well it gets worse. Wind storm knocked out power to 100,000 homes in a tri-county area (Seattle was ground zero); number is now to '40,000 people in the tri county area). :eek:

Who knows what 40K people represent in the number of homes effected ... but by definition it's got to be a lot. But that's whose sitting in the dark as I type.:(

#13 ·
juro said:
All in good sportsmanship of course...

but to hear you say that the Seattle ground game is not going to be part of the winning equation for Seattle birds of prey is interesting... league MVP, most touchdowns in the history of football, 5 pro bowl starters on offense, in addition to the power air attack which is formidable to say the least. Even the back up backs are crushing runners and behind that all-pro offensive line they will get it done as they did even when Shaun was knocked out of the game during the playoffs.

I think Seattle will in fact establish the run, and that will be lights out for the avg 3 yards per running play steelers. It's Pitt that has to worry about their running game. Ben will have to pass to win, and the leads leading sackers on the Seattle defense will wreak havoc causing turnovers and 3 and outs if the steelers stick to their weak running game with easy field position for the potent Seattle offense.

When the whole package is tallied the talent is lopsided in favor of Seattle, and if they execute there will be no question who the champions are. It all boils down to execution.

Wow that is big talk!! Were did you buy that crystal ball your looking into!
I hope the Seattle payers have the same overblown opions of themselves as you seem too.:whoa:

I am of the opinion to get to this position you better have some talent and there is no doubt Seattle does but so do the Steelers. I could make the argument the Seagulls victory over the Panthers had more to with the Panthers self -distructing then the Gulls Dominating. I mean they (panthers) were down to there 4 th runningback and they aren't that good of a running team to begin with.
AND it ALWAYS boils down to execution.

Wow this is fun isn't it!!!:biggrin:

What happened in Seattle? big storm?

#14 ·
Truth be known this is one of those hard ones. I know we are just joking back and forth but I do mean this in earnest. They both deserve to win, but only one can. Jerome is without a doubt a future hall of famer and Shaun is a future shoe-in. Matt is clearly setting the stage for a future induction as well as Ben, football heroes all.

The only bigger dilemma for me would be a superbowl where my former home team Seattle played my new home team the New England Patriots! (I now live on the east coast)

It will be a good game and neither outcome will be one of complete disappointment. Neither will be of complete fulfillment either. May the best team win!

let's check in after the game (I actually have to work for a few hours)

#19 ·
Well if Seattle didn't make a couple of key mistakes that took them out completely, I would have mortgaged my house to have the officiating crew investigated for criminal influences in the first half particularly.

Rothlisberger did not cross the goal line, Jackson's catch was a touchdown, and every key play was penalized when the holding going on was blatant on the other side.

But in the end if Jackson just dove into the end zone instead of stepping out on his second close call, if the decisions at the end of each half made sense, if Hasselbeck didn't throw a pic at precisely the wrong time, if if if... Seattle could have won the game despite all the blown calls.

In the end I think Seattle did prove to the world that they are a great football team and in the first half a better one than the Steelers despite the score. But in the end the Steelers played with heart and conviction and as Madden or Steve Young (or one of the honchos) said they got the most out of the opportunities they had where Seattle got the least out of the opportunities they had.

Like Ben told Jerome when they fell short last time, they will be back. Back they came. Seattle has been growing stronger every year and I have a feeling Matt and Shaun are also feeling like this is not going to be the last time they will be in the big dance either.

Congratulations to Bill Cower, the BUS and big Ben as well as the whole Steeler team.

To the Seattle Seahawks... work hard, learn and see you in Superbowl 41 :)

#20 ·
AHEM:cool:

Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10:eek:

Ugly as it was at times, especially Pittsburgh's offense, the Steeler defense just did not let Seattle score even though they moved the ball well.

Defenses do win championships!

#21 ·
Worst football game ever. Seattle had more talent by far but Steelheaders were better. Seattle Choke City but they may make for it big time next year. God that was really a bad game. And yes that is 3 weeks of the worst officiating in football history.

#22 ·
Three bad calls against the Seahawks took points off the board. Changed the MO of the game and gave the Steelers a cheap touchdown. They probably would have scored if there was a next play. At least it wouldn't leave a bad taste in everyones mouth. Really didn't matter to me who won. Just like to see an even playing field. That head ref should be reprimanded by the NFL, but you know that won't happen.

Seattle is a small town market team. It was clear who they wanted to win.

#23 ·
I still don't get this "more talent" thing. There is no doubt the Steelers were not on their "A" game but there defense kept them in it and the fact that they have so much raw physical talents sealed the deal. Everyone contributed thats why they won they don't rely on just a few they play as a total team.

Seattle should have stuck with the short passing game, and I don't know if I've seen worse clock management. They had more than one chance to get back in it
but they just couldn't stop them in the end. But there is know doubt they are a good team I wish they didn't have that week off it seemed to effect both teams negatively.

Maybe we can do it again next year:D

#24 ·
There's a bunch of talent on each team. Seahawks defense really stifled a normally effective Steeler offense and did not allow the steeler running game to get into gear, but the Steeler defense held the leagues mvp running back to under 100 yds and no TD's and the leagues most effective team at turning long drives into points could only muster 1 TD. Yes, they had a bad call for holding go against them that cost them points, but look at how many times they were moving the ball and couldn't get anything out of their effort. And that offensive pass interference call in the end zone, hey, you cannot push away from a defender like that, slight as it may be. Pushing off is pushing off, even in the superbowl.

Pittsburgh definitely capitalized on the big play, but once again it was a great steeler D that held Seattle to 10 points.

#26 ·
Superbowls, generally, bite unless your hometown team's playing but that game was the pits. Worst played and coached that I can remember. Officiating has been sloppy and lazy through out the playoffs. IMHO instant replay has a bit to do with this, taking the onus off the officials to get it right in a lot of cases. And what's this patronizing crap with Brady doin the coin flip. I'm disappointed he'd agree to do such a thing. You'd think he was at the end when in reality he's just entering his prime. The whole show left me with a sense that I'd wasted a day, kinda like spending a bluebird day in september watching an early season game when you could be out fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.