Fly Fishing Forum banner

outboard

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
I just took the plunge with an old aluminium boat that needs a new used outboard. Any recommendations on year and make for a 15hp outboard. What can I expect to get for around 750$. If I spend 1000$ will I get a much better outboard?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hate to say it, but you're better off with a Japanese outboard. Suzukis are great motors as are Yamahas. I know a lot of people stand behind their Hondas. You might also scout around a bit to see if you can find a new Tohatsu or Nissan. I've a hunch their new prices will be a lot lower than you might think.

I would avoid Johnson/Evinrude used motors because of their recent bankruptcy and the problems that led to it. Some of the later motors were of pretty shoddy workmanship, I understand. The only complaints I have about Mercury products, besides their price, is the fact that they can be hard to start in cold weather.

As for the other brands mentioned, make sure you have service available in your area before you buy one of the Japanese motors.

Good luck,

Keith

#3 ·
OMC's problems were related to developing the Fastrike motor and the subsequent models of fuel injected outboards in the 150 to 200 horsepower range. There is absolutely no concern about their smaller engines used or new! In fact they are somewhat preferred. OMC is currently owned by Bombardier.

#5 ·
Perhaps I should clarify my statement in regards to OMC smaller motors.

Just prior to the bankruptcy, OMC dealers were having some serious problems with both quality control issues and getting parts. I do know that my local marine dealer dropped the Evinrude line because of it. There was some discussion in boating circles about getting parts to repair some of the pre-Bombardier outboards.

Don't get me wrong-- I ran Johnson outboards for about 20 years before switching, and I would buy a 1980- 1990 six horse at the drop of the hat because they were extremely reliable workhorses that run forever. From discussions that I've had with people at Bombardier, I believe the new Johnson/Evinrude models are topnotch. It's the ones in between that I wouldn't trust.

And what Juro says about Yamahas is right on the money. This company has taken over the Honda bracket on the back of many NW boats. It's also the motor of choice for a lot of Alaskan saltwater boats as well. If you can find a Yamaha in your price range that hasn't been abused (you should be able to tell), it will serve you well. I would expect the same for Suzuki, Nissan, and Tohatsu, but there getting service may be a problem if you don't have dealers in your area.

Good luck,

Keith

#6 ·
Japanese

I would definately say go with Japanese. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Nissan ( had a 50hp and it was GREAT ) or Tahatsu (Tahatsu makes Nissan ). Look at the dealers in your area as well. Its important to have someone close to work on it when and if something goes wrong. I would not say to over look Mercury either. They have gotten alot better plus you can always find someone to work on it.

In my area its all OMC and Mercury dealers. I have a Honda ( LOVE IT by the way ) but I have to drive an hour to the closest dealer for service and repair. Not exactly convenient but its not that bad. Just something to think about.

#7 ·
Yamaha, Yamaha, YAMAHA!!!!!!!

LOL. Actually, I'm in process of getting a new sled. Will probably have the 200 hp jetpump with superpump lower unit.

But for kicker, will go with the 8hp yamaha with 9hp lower unit. My Dad has this setup and is the ultimate kicker for a sled. Will kick along almost any sled up to 20' long no sweat. My Dad uses it currently on his 19' sled and is one of the nicest motors. Has electric start/tilt. MAN, I'm in LOVE with this motor. I am an old die hard evinrude guy. Love my old 9.9's. Have one with electric start. But, after seeing this Yamaha, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm sold. The 8hp with 9hp lower unit actually is a better engine then the 9hp yamaha. My Dad bought as a fluke. Now, everyone he knows that sees his motor and tries it, has bought one. Would be great for just about any boat. I know his boat scoots right along. Extremely heavy currents he has a problem, but, you rarely use the kicker in currents like that anyways. I know the transducer put us at 20mph with that kicker. Not bad for size/weight of the boat (it's a heavy reinforced river sled).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.