Fly Fishing Forum banner

Running Line help...

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  prouse 
#1 ·
Okay- I'm new to this salt water fly fishing, but I now have a kayak to fish from and looking to get set up to fish for silvers, sea- run cutts and ????

Anyway, I have read the excellent tome titled "flyfishing for pacific salmon" and have a question.

Do ay of you fly casters out there have any recomendations for running line set-ups for shooting heads?

I have a rio Versa-tip Leviathan line that I take with me to Cabo, but when I fish it up here, it doesen't seem to get very deep (using the 500 gr head). I am thinking of adding a spoll with Amnesia? or Rio's shooting line, so any suggestions on what works well would be great. This set-up would be used mostly from my Yak, with the intention of getting deep.

Thanks!

Pete

#2 ·
If you don't change heads a lot, you should consider using a 350 grain Rio Deep Sea line which comes with a fast sinking head and intermediate running line, no loop. It casts like a shooting head, but no loop. I and others in this community have tested this line in ocean coho conditions out in the rips with very good results.

For inshore or surface angling, you could have a spare spool with a floater or clear intermediate handy since it seems you are not interested in a floating running line anyway you'd need a spare spool to separate the two.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply- so I am hearing you say to stay away from flat mono type running lines, right? I have heard that they tangle quite a bit- just wanted to check with some voices of reason before i go through the whole set-up process....

Any chance of getting some info on your popper pattern?? I have read some posts back on the archive and I am very much interested!

Thanks again.

#4 ·
I have fallen in love with the Rio Aqualux running line...it is an intermediate sink, clear and shoots well without tangling....it is far and above the best running line out there...btw-stay away from flat mono running line...its hard on the hands and difficult to work with.

When I am fishing from the boat, I run anything from intermediate to a 500 grain Rio Big Boy head...they are 24' (also available in 26') and get down!! With this system you can easily cast as far as need be and reach the fish.

If you are fishing from a beach, you need nothing more then an intermediate line (or floating) in most cases...you can just run your intermediate head with the Aqualux running line...if need be, you can also purchase 30 and 40 foot shooting heads as well.

IMHO...the above system is very versatile, easy to use and most importantly, catches fish!!

#5 ·
Ryan - sounds like you moved away from the deep sea that you did so well with last time we fished out in the rips for coho. I like the versatility of the setup you now use.

Prouse - the popper of which I speak is an invention of the coho popper master himself, Leland Miyawaki. Leland can best describe his fly, and will be at the Seattle flyfishing show to tie it during a tie-along session at our booth in Feb.

Meanwhile, you can find his profile in the [Members] section (see button above) and get some feedback directly if you wish.

Sean pointed out a great tying sequence for this fly, I'll ask him where it was.

#6 ·
Thanks for all of the Info Ryan and Juro. I plan on moving forward with an Aqualux set up. Do you know how deep you are able to get with this line attached to your FatBoy 500? Just curious.

Also- I will look Leland up at the Show in Feb to try to get the popper info.

Thanks again-

Pete

#7 ·
I've not used LC13 - Cortlands lead core line that you chop into 25-30' chunks- I understand the grains to be much higher than the available brand name high grain shooting heads....and much cheaper.

Put loops on it as you would any other shooting head. Start at 30 feet and cut back to find the right length for your rod.

Jim w

#8 ·
Thanks for your input Jim. I am considering the purchase of the LC13 line from a seller on eBay. He gets $15.95 for them and makes them to any length 30' and under.

Thanks for all the help- now I just have to get the time to apply all of this information!

pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.