Fly Fishing Forum banner

To better serve you...We are CLOSED!

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/CC-History

Today in Cape history: Local residents dig out from epic blizzard
01/24/08 · 7:02 am posted by Jack Coleman

On this day in 2005, Cape and island residents were still recovering from an epic blizzard for the ages that created snow drifts up to six feet high and forced commuters to abandon their cars.

South Dennis resident Bruce MacNayr was trapped in his home for 24 hours before plows reached him on this Monday following the 30-hour long weekend storm.

"This is the most snow I've ever seen in my life," the 46-year-old MacNayr told the Associated Press. "I've seen a couple of blizzards in my life, but this is the worst."

Many residents were stuck in their homes because towns had stopped plowing while the heavy snow piled into huge drifts.

"The snow is so heavy, plows can't push it," George Luna told the AP as he used a front-end loader to dig out a shopping plaza parking lot in Dennis.

It was the second major storm of the winter for Cape Cod, following one in December that dumped 18 inches and left many residents without power for days.

Some areas north and south of metro Boston saw a whopping 38 inches. Residents of coastal Scituate were unable to get to their homes because of shore flooding that turned to ice.

Area 61 didn't see a snow plow for 5 days...
Power stayed on and provisions were plentiful...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember that one!

Mass. Governor declared a "State of emergency" :Eyecrazy:

I had to be in Boston for a meeting and made it in 12 hours from Stamford via with Amtrak. When I got to the city the snow was piled up 12ft high at the roadsides.

Quite a site!

#4 ·
That was my first winter living on Cape I moved in December and a lot of people were telling me how the Cape hardly gets any snow.

It really wasn't a big deal my street wasn't plowed for close to a week so I just put my Tundra in Awesome gear, loaded up my dog and drove to work - nearly everyone called in sick - pansies. I think I worked close to 20hrs a day that week.

#5 ·
What year is your Tundra?

Mine is the first model year and has the "kickass" gear. It still plows with authority over Nauset beach sand after the lanes have been chewed up by July 4th tourist traffic and doesn't even blink in a blizzard after 208,000 miles of low maintenance joy, my faithful partner in crime since 1999.

Oh what a freakin' feeling!! :hihi:

#7 ·
4x4...as defined by Webster...

A capable offroad vehicle that enables the operator to get stuck in mud far from a paved road. :hihi:

...and there's something special about the crunching sound made by rocks colliding with the transmission case and/or oil pan! :eek:
...'been there, 'done that!

Attachments

#9 ·
Adrian said:
I remember that one!

Mass. Governor declared a "State of emergency" :Eyecrazy:
I remember that one too...office closed...had to field calls from nurses at the hospital as I couldn't get there to see my patients...finally shovelled out my driveway after the plows got to my road later that night...came close to brandishing my 44 magnum as a plow tried to pile up snow at the end of my driveway while I was standing there trying to clear what his buddy had deposited there not 30 min previously:mad:

Another one of those and I'm joining Dave17 down south....
Flydoc

#15 ·
State of the Breach Address...

For the latest pics, click on link below, then on the gallery "Storm Claims North Beach Cottage".....
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=MEDIA0103&S=CC&D=20080129&C=MEDIA01&G=129001&I=11

Southern end of North Beach (northern end of inlet) is eroding (expanding) at the rate of 20-30 feet PER DAY on days WITHOUT storm activity, just due to tidal effects of deep channel current running parallel to the Pleasant Bay side. They figure the remaining five camps seen in the photos just north of the break will likely be history by the time of the Spring Clave:roll:
Flydoc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.