Fly Fishing Forum banner

lunchtime sunnies & bass

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 · (Edited)
Such a beautiful day today that I walked to a local pond with the 3 wt at lunch. It was a good decision bvecause the sunfish are schooling up in prespawn locations. After some sunnies on a pt nymph I decided to sight cast to the largemouth bass cruising about. I only got 1 but it was a good fight. The carp were milling about sunning and I got a look at a wooly bugger but no bites. Probably a good thing the 3 wt would be too light for them.

#2 ·
JD, I put my dock in a week ago. Yesterday I had to go to the lake. I was dipping water into the watering can and a 20" smallie and I started playing hide&seek - every time I'd walk down the ramp, the fish would gently slide away about four feet, turn and watch me dip the can, then move back under the dock as I walked away. This fish and I know each other I know her markings; She lives under and between my dock and boat all summer. She weighs a little over three pounds.

#4 ·
fishheadfred said:
dave,

sounds so picturesque, the dock, the water, the boat....but i am having a little trouble visualizing it....maybe if i knew where it was and could see the scene for myself, i could get a line to her, i mean, get a line on what a beatiful scene it must be on your home waters:D
FUHGEDDABOUDIT !!!!!

[Here's your visual!] Imagine a kettle hole almost 500 acres in size, over two miles long, almost a mile wide, shaped something like Africa. The deepest spot is about 70 feet, rock outcroppings, shoals and navigation markers to keep day use "googans" off them; bass that test tackle, holdover trout over three pounds, pout that'll scare ya comin'out of their bottom holes and white suckers well into the seven pound range. Beaver downstream, bear, coyotes, fisher, weasel, porcupine, deer, skunks, ducks, herons, loons, charming little snapping turtles - Nope, that's not my lake !:cool:

CATCH AND RELEASE, A LESSON LEARNED:

This past Sunday, a friends' youngest walked on to the dock with his Snoopy fishing rod and some kind of lure, most likely found in some of my stuff in the bedroom. He'd left the family worms at home, covered, on the kitchen table - home is over three hours away; they wouldn't return 'til the next day. Tim's mother handed him the cover to the worm container and told him to put it ON the worm container while at home - she failed to mention he should BRING the container to the car so it would travel with them:whoa:

Tim decided he wanted to catch Mrs. Bass, who lives under the dock. Dangling the lure over the side of the walkway in a little less than three feet of water, he bent over to see if the fish would have any of it. Now, picture a kindergartener, intent on catching the monster hiding beneath him, bent over while standing at the edge of a wood walkway over water.

Mrs. Bass accommodated Tim, she did - she took the presentation and immediately started for deeper water. Well, Tim was so surprised, and so bent over the walkway when she hit, that he took a little swim when she started her run!!!

Tim ended up being pulled off the walkway in a perfect flat dive. Mrs. Bass continued to run, pulling the hook, effecting her escape. I suspect she took cover beneath my boat, moored some fifty feet away from the dock.

Tim, shaken and soaked, but none the worse for wear, climbed back onto the walkway.

He never let go of the rod the whole time :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.