Fly Fishing Forum banner

USVI- BVI fishing license

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone, thanks so much for all your pre trip info and support you gave me on my upcoming trip to the virgin islands.
Last question before I go. Do I need a fishing license while shore/wade fishing in the USVI. If so where is the best place to secure one once landed at the STT airport and while taking the taxi to the harbor for my ferry ride out.

I have heard that while fishing in the BVI, Anegada,, as long as I am not fishing from a boat I do not need a fishing license, is this correct ??
Thanks
Jim

#3 ·
BVI License

You need a license if you want to be legal about it. It takes 15-20 minutes to get one in Road Town at the fisheries office. You will probably have limited exposure if you're just wading on Anegada. I tried to find out if one can be purchased from the government office in Anegada but got no answer.

I'll be there Jan 20th for 4-5 days. Look for a guy buzzing around in a dinghy with three rods. You're welcome to join me while I'm there.

You can IM me if you want my phone number while I'm down there.

Best of luck.

Marty

#4 ·
license

Marty,
I have searched long and hard to find an answer to that question. If you go to the link above that bonefishmon sent, that states that I wouldnt need a license, but surf the web and I get a bunch of conflicting answers.
Randy at Neptunes says I do not need a license on Anegada for catch and release fishing. He should know if any one does.
I will be taking a ferry to tortola to catch the anegada ferry, maybe I will try while in Tortola to go to the Govt. building and secure one just in case, like I did when I was cruising down their. Better safe then sorry.
How close is the fisheries office in road town to the ferry dock ???
I will be on Anegada the last weekend of January, so will miss a connection with you.
Do a post when you get back and let us know how you did.
Jim

#5 ·
Re: BVI license

The government building is just to the left near the water as you enter the harbor at Road Town. If you are familiar with where the cruise ships dock you can see the builing from there. It's only 3 stories high and stucco. You can't miss it. It's either on the 2nd or 3rd floor. I'm getting a license there because I plan to be fishing quite a bit over the course of 7 days between Anegada and Little Yost. Better safe than sorry.

Village Cay restaurant is a good place for breakfast, lunch or dinner if you have time to kill.

The weather cast looks great. The Christmas winds are north of the VI's. Steady 10-15 mph winds. Not bad.

Best of luck.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.