Fly Fishing Forum banner

A DeerTail

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Enclosed here is a picture of a deertail in the back yard yesterday, ate some of my garden.:(

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Gad, they are peskie creatures. East Medford

is over run with the buggers. Live in a residential neighborhood, and home backs up on 1200 some undeveloped acres. If it weren't for a 8 foot high deer fence, and the Pooch, we'd be picked clean over night. Some of these deer are so bold (and they know the dog can't get through the fence) they will come right up to it and just let the dog bark away. Just to be mean someday I think I'll unlatch the back gate for Sheba .... that will get their attention! She may be old, but she can really honk if she wants too.

Front yard is open to the street and we have a waterfall pond right by the front door. The Racoons have cleaned out the gold fish twice, the deer come within 4 feet of the front door to get their water supply.

Very common to have Pooch blow you out of bed at 3am because 'Bambi's just on the other side of the window.

#7 ·
The garden has a 5 foot high fence, it ate tomato plants, string beans,and sunflower plants I had on one side of the garden, these were six foot high now stripped of leaves, if it comes back tonight I might as well open the garden gate and go fishing.:D

#8 ·
"I'm told there is a second solution ...."

Understand 'some' of the area folks purchased cross bows. No sound (other than 'thunk') but the 'dart' will drop them in their tracks. Must be messy as all heck bleeding, et. al. the darn things in your garage. But a lot of meat. "In season" probably just take it to your butcher and have him cut and wrap for your freezer.

yuck. :eek:

A 'big brown eyed' thing I guess ....
fae

#9 · (Edited)
alternatives

I had a problem with squirrels (sp) eating green peaches last year. Searching for a non-lethal alternative, at the wife's insistence, I was told that spraying a cayene pepper solution would keep animals from eating the fruit. After hearing this I went home and the squirrels had been flattened by a car :devil:. Never got around to trying it after that.

#10 ·
last post on this subject

:( Today, 2:00PM I am mowing the lawn, the wife hollared at me the bucks in the garden again. Got the video camera walkedup to it within 50 feet, started shooting:eek: Battery is dead:chuckle: It has eaten the tops off my tomato plants.:mad:

#12 · (Edited)
Another thought. Worked/owned vineyards for a long time.

And deer JUST LOVE grape vines. Strange, but effective, 'cure' was to take bars of Irish Spring soap, drill hole and hang on end rows. Who know's why, but they really didn't like the smell.

What ever works, short of killing the buggers. Not my plan. Wild Turkeys were much more of a problem in northern Calif. vineyards. But, as they were 'always in season,' if you were a 'farmer' it was always open season; we'd sit in lawn chairs with .22 long rifles loaded.

Dad was the Canadian Grand Champ one year, and "missed" the next year by three rounds out of 1,000 collective match rounds out of the "10 ring" (not an exageration ... other guy must have been one hell of a shot) . Guess who taught me how to shoot.

One round, one turkey. And the Crew was always happy to take the end result of my target practice. Dad's comment was to the effect that if you know how to shoot, you don't need a shotgun.

Worked for me. And before you ask, never could hit a duck in fleight. :>) Also a .22 round can travel far to far for safety purposes.''If you can't hit the target, get your finger off the triger."
fae
:smokin:

#13 ·
Art
This is a deterent not a solution for too many deer but your local agway store (or equiv) sells predetor urin that you can sprinckle around the garden during the planting season. The deer think that there is a mountain lionwaiting to pounce and avoid the area. May work though you'll get no venison or fly's out of the deal.
Larry

#14 ·
Larry, First good luck on your recovery,I don't know where you lve, but if you care to fish at all this fall I have room to carry you and your equipment in quest for albie fishing from shore on the southern coast of RI.
I am aware of the deer repellent,I don't think it will work with this deer, I don't even seem to repel it. Yesterday I was watering the garden. I have a small gasoline driven water pump that I pump water from an old well in a blackberry patch. Yesterday I shut the pump off and was carrying the pump over a wall, as I turned around, I caught a patch of brown in the blackberry patch. This six point buck was standing there not 25 feet away. Imagine a 5HP motor roaring for an hour, and a deer within 50 feet of it munching on blackberries.:D I won't see it when deer season opens in November.

#18 ·
I just picked up a couple of white tail tails like that at a fur, antler, and claw shop in Custer, South Dakota last week. $ 4 for one was their price. This shop and others out there had all sorts of wild animal pelts being sold. Man I wish they were closer to me than a 1000 miles away from Chicago.

Have to check if this shop sells mail order. It looked like an old wild west trading store so don't know if they are web enabled, I did not get that impression.

But you never know these days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.