Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jungle Cock

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  saltydog 
#1 ·
What grade do I need and how much should I expect to spend on a Jungle Cock cape for flatwings or in my case mostly hollow fleyes and bucktail deceivers? I don't care if they are presentation quality, just good enough for our striped friends. I tried the imitation ones and they look nice but considered buying a cape for the authentic look. The shop wanted $150 for a grade A neck, which for me isn't worth it for the amount of tying I do in that style. How many flies should I expect to get out of the Grade C capes?

Thanks,

Sean

#2 · (Edited)
This is the best price/quality I think you will find:

fishermensfeathers.com/usa/junglecock.htm

This is where Juro has sourced capes for the forum in the past.

I use it alot on my salmon flies and will start with flat wings and such.

The half capes are a good deal and will last you a few seasons if not more. A C cape is more than adequate though for fishing. If the split nails bug you just coat them with hard as nails and they are almost as good as new.

-sean

#3 ·
Trading places!

Ever wonder in your truck that people in the opposite direction have been where your going already?

That's kinda like the story I'm going to tell ya about jungle cock capes.

Lots and lots of fresh water tyier use jungel cock capes for streamer patterns. Most of their work requires the smaller feathers. Lots of the larger eyes never get used.

With saltwater tyiers the opposite happens. Naturally all the larger eyes go first and the little ones have no purpose either. Now if you could only trade places.

When you go to the UFTRI meeting, ask the sweetwater guys if they have any of the larger pieces to sell.

There is always Castle Farms too.

Years ago the forum did a mass purchase of I think English necks that worked out pretty good.

Class B or C is good. They tend to split while fishing/casting too.

#4 ·
RAY, Phil use to sell a.b.c. grades B.C's are ae just as good for saltwater most of the b.c greads have a lot of SPLIT'S in them an the atlantic tyers don' use them.
you should be able to get them for $45.00 to $65.00 look around. all you have to do to repair them is take the eye turn it over an run some head cement--> nail polish on it an pull it together. works every time.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.