Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Roots." And is too frequently the theme, not a fishing related post.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Passed on to me by Bob Larsell; a great guy and wonderful fishing partner. Those of you who have been to any of the Sandy 'Claves will know he, and Ms. Laura as the Host and Hostess with the Mostest.

To Wit:

Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read
this.Those of you who didn't will be in disbelief... but trust me every one of these are true.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H is

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see #6.

4) You used to "drag" main.

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police
officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them. (Post Script: how many of us still smoke out side the garage door?? )

9) You knew which section of the ditch to find the beer your buyer
dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town (or I might add: another High School).

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation

12) You don't give directions by street names or directions by
references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but is actually just like your town.

17) You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people"

18) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town pub.

20) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get
stronger.

22) Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.

24) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

25) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

26) You can charge at all the local stores or write checks without any ID.

27) The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more).

28) The closest mall is over an hour away.

29) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've peed in a cornfield.

31) Most people go by a nickname.

32) You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is all
true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town (because you know them all!)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A e mail from BobK included the following, and after Pres. Bush's comments.

something that should, perhaps, be read by all.

I didn't go to VN, and spent my time towing broken down boaters in Washington State waters. I got lucky, a lot of other CG guys ..

For those who don't know, a far, far larger number of Canadians came south; than 'Americans' who went north during this time period. But this didn't make for good news print.

For your consideration.

Subject: Perspective
>
>
> I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for everyone to hurry and stow their carry-ons and grab a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a long , uneventful flight home. With the huge capacity and slow moving people taking their time to stuff luggage far too big for the overhead and never paying much attention to holding up the growing line behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that this flight was not starting out very
well.

I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I was focused on "my" issues and just felt like standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to get their act together. I knew I couldn't say a word so I just thumbed thru the "Sky Mall" magazine from the seat pocket in front of me.

You know it's really getting rough when you resort to the over priced, useless sky mall crap to break the monotony. With everyone finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin door open and no one in any hurry to get us going although we were well past the scheduled take off time. No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told myself. Just then, the attendant came on the intercom to inform us all that we were being delayed. The
entire plane let out a collective groan. She resumed speaking to say "We are holding the aircraft for some very special people who are on their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be more than 5 minutes. The word came after waiting six times as long as we were promised that "I" was finally going to be on my way home. Why the hoopla over "these" folks? I was
expecting some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for the hold up.........Just get their butts in a seat and lets hit the gas I
> thought. The attendant came back on the speaker to announce in a loud and excited voice that we were being joined by several U. S. Marines returning home from Iraq!!! Just as they walked on board, the entire plane erupted into applause. The men were a bit taken by surprise by the 340 people cheering for them as they searched for their seats. They were having their hands shook and touched by almost everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman kissed the hand of one of the Marines as he passed by her. The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for a long time. When we were finally airborne, "I" was not the only civilian checking his conscience as to the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand.
These men had done for all of us and I had been complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues. I took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and the conveniences of the American way of life I took for granted others paid the price for my ability to moan and complain about a few minutes delay to "me" those Heroes going home to their loved ones. I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order and minutes before we landed I suggested to the attendant that she announce over the speaker a request for everyone to remain in their seats until our hero's were allowed to gather their things and be first off the plane. The cheers and applause continued until the last Marine stepped off and we all rose to go about our too often taken
for granted everyday freedoms......... I felt proud of them. I felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to welcome them home and say Thank You for a job well done. I vowed that I will never forget that flight nor the lesson learned. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans and active servicemen and women who may read this and a prayer for those who cannot because they are no longer with us.

PS: we do not live in a 'well world,' and the folks described above are there because they 'signed up.' No draft.

God, we live in a Great Country!!! I'm truly, truly proud that you allowed me to become a Citizen.

GBA

fae

#3 ·
Fred,

Where I grew up in Northeast Pennsylvania's anthracite coal mining country, we knew all the kids from each of the five surrounding "villages" (they all had between 75 and 200 people in them) and most of the kids within 3 years of your age in "town" (6,000 people) where you went to school. Instead of tractors being driven through town, there would be front end loaders and assorted other mining equipment. The next valley over was a farming valley and it had gone way uptown with a full 18-hole golf course situated right next to a dairy farm. Folks got their sinuses cleaned many times after a good lung-full of this country air.

The worst thing was when the local constabulary would show up at a party and open the tap letting the beer flow out on the ground until the keg was empty and then do the same to all the whisky bottles as well. Then he would take all the car keys and make us stay with no beer and no booze until 8 the next morning when he come back with the keys. Said it was to teach us a lesson.

I too am very glad to be a citizen of this great country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.