Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone still in for Friday at White's?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  troutbum 
#1 ·
Let me know,

Juro

#3 ·
I'm Hitting the RI Waters on Sunday with Ray. I don't know how much free time I'll have the rest of the weekend, between plans with wife, chores around house, & boat maintenance.

I feel bad, because I kind of instigated this hole thing. People are willing to teach & all I have to do is show up & learn. But, I could not pass up one more trip to the salt. I will try to make either the Friday or Saturday ventures; I'm kind of leaning towards Saturday for better weather. Someone post the meeting time/place for Saturday, I have maps so I can find my way. However, I could be back from Whites before my better half is even up on Friday? I'll feel out the situation & post again later.

#7 ·
Actually, it's good that no one's going out of their way to stand in the drizzly cold tomorrow. I think I'll put the kickboat in the truck tonight, set the alarm and see how motivated I am in the AM.

I stopped by there this morning for a minute. The fog was so thick the pond seemed to disappear a long cast from shore. The water was as clear as gin, a small fish dimpled the surface and it looked kinda sterile.

I wondered what it would be like to row into the void and explore the depths for fall trout near the gravel shoal at the opening to Sperry Cove. I hope it's pea soup tomorrow in case I get motivated!

#8 ·
Hey all, how ya been? Haven't seen nor heard from alot of you guys in awhile. Mostly 'cause I hardly ever fish anymore. Posted a few times on Jeff's board, but not been very active this season.
Just wanted to chime in on one of my favorite places - White's Pond. Stopped in at lunch time yesterday [Wed] to scout. Didn't have gear with me. Big mistake! Went down to the back side near the conservation area. The water was anything but sterile! It was warm and a gentle breeze was blowing onshore. The midges were hatching by the droves and the breeze drove them close to shore where trout were rising everywhere. The takes were quiet sips with small dimples. Looked like sunnies or maybe shiners, but trust me, they were trout [or most were anyway]. They were close enough to shore were I could positively ID them with my poloroids. They were surprisingly big for the size of the rises. They were well within even my flycasting range. Matter of fact they were close enough to swim behind you as you waded. The number of fish rising was very impressive, although that is the norm for this pond. This pond holds over very well and is always loaded with trout. Of course that means nothing about how catchable they are. The midges hatch here anytime the air is over 40-45 F and the wind is not to intense. They are the big black, leggy, mosquitoish looking midges [chrinomid?]. Probably a #16 -#18 hook with sparse but oversized hackles, no tail. A black knat dry or wet or a wormy looking chrinomid nymph should work.
Wish I could get out tomorrow, but got Daddy duty all day. A cold rainy, windy day is not a great day to see surface action, but the trout still feed. I'll be watching for that warm Indian Summer weather that makes the fishing as good as the catching.
Happy hooking!

#9 ·
Great to hear from you Mike! Somehow I can't imagine you not fishing hard with all due respect but I'm sure your priorities are set right and there are lots of dividends later for the time invested now.

Just saw my son sworn into National Honor Society last night, talk about choking up. I tried not to be too proud but inside I was gleaming like nobody's business. It was the pride on *his* face for what he had done that was by far the best part. I saw a little of that look on Monomoy this summer when he landed a fat legal bass on the fly, but nothing like this. Glad I made time to interact a lot with my kids while they were young and we were living in the Seattle suburbs, and perhaps most importantly my wife has always been and is always the image of a treasured mom for them.

In any case, I am going to go put my kickboat into my truck and hope I find myself rowing into the fog at dawn. Thanks for the inspiration!

#10 ·
Well, got up. Got ready. Got to the door... the rain didn't stop me, I decided neoprene, not goretex. Fraser rain jacket, possibly fleece gloves. Just like winter steelheading.

Probably 2 hours max, minus loading and rowing. That's probably about 1.5, thereabouts. No that didn't stop me.

Run down the mental checklist - flybox loaded with selections from the Elk and Bow by the generosity of a good friend and member Pete Lavoilette from Calgary - check. 5wt setup and extra spool (sinking) - check. Pontoon boat, oars, check. License.... dOh!

Here I sit all broken hearted, tried to fish but only brain-farted!

Terry -

I'll dig it up by the morning, find my dup certificate, or buy another if I have to.

Must be November.

#11 ·
I pinned my FW Licence on my Red Bo-Sox Cap, but after having it blown off my head out on the boat about a half dozen times & having a tough time retreiving it more than once, I finally took it off & put in the center consol of my truck. And there it sits.

BTW: Great picture of Son with fish, but doesn't that belong on "Stripers & Coastal Game Fish". That looks like Monomoy not Whites :->}

#12 ·
Good call on passing up the trip without the paper. Few places are more likely to be patroled by the warden than White's. We're too old and wise to get on the wrong side of the law, even by accident.

Congrats on your son's achievment! He clearly has environment as well as heredity on his side. I experienced a similar feeling last spring when my oldest won several academic awards. I realized the pride I felt at that moment surpased any I ever experienced for my own accopmlishments.

I'm really hoping to get some on the water time now that the long travel/all day fishing season is over. A few hours at White's or Walden will carry me far.
BTW, I know this is a purest's board, but anybody besides me do much ice fishing? Does jigging artificials with feathers through the ice pass muster?

#13 ·
Mike,

> Does jigging artificials with feathers
> through the ice pass muster?

Only if you cut a 50' slit in the ice and throw the jigs on a fly rod
Good to hear from you. We missed you at the Boneclave this year.

While we are bandying proud father stories, my 3 year old son said to me the other day, "When I grow up to be a man, I'm gonna throw flies in the big ocean, just like you, Daddy." The wording made me crack up. Now if I can just keep grandpa from corrupting his priorities with golf. ;)

Al

#14 ·
My son's (6 yrs.) has been asking "when can I start flyfishing?". I just put together a rod for him. Found a tiny Pflueger fly reel somewhere. IT's about a 2.5" diameter. Put it on an ultra light spin that has tiny eyes and is just the length.

Juro: Keep digging, I'll be on my way out before dawn!

Terry

#15 ·
Juro and all, definitely hit the Stillwater this weekend, the river is crawlin with salmon and large browns! Firt cast into the river was a silver streak after my fly, second cast was a solid hookup that literally ripped my 7x tippet off my line, he was on for about 20 seconds but snaaap and gone! Did get to see him though and he was BIG! Saw LOTS of salmon today...some holes had 20 or more stuffed in them!!! Had just as much fun watching and counting them as trying to catch them!

#17 ·
Nathan, without getting into specifics, look below the singing bridge, the salmon are real dark with greenish tails, they're almost black colored with silver areas on them. There are some monster sized fish in there, some I saw today were easily 24" fish without exaggerating. I would estimate that I saw 100 plus fish in there today. They're really picky too! Try grey ghosts, or baitfish imitations.
Saw many of them with their mouths flashing, which I thought was interesting as I was always under the impression that salmon didn't feed when spawning....leads me to believe that maybe some of them are in there to snack on eggs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.