Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bronze Rainbow

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brad 
#1 ·
I caught this fat 20" bronze rainbow on Nov 11 using a size 18 orange scud. The fish were in full spawning color and the one I took home for dinner was full of mature eggs. How common is it for rainbows to spawn in the fall?

Brad

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fall spawners

Here in NY, it's one way to tell the rainbows from the steelheads -
In the Lake Ontario tribs, there are rainbows as well as steelheads, and both species "migrate" to the lake.
The rainbows spawn in the fall, as at the hatcheries, their forebearers were "tricked" into fall spawning by artificially changing lighting conditions. They are beautiful fish, in rainbow spawning colors, different appearing than the chrome spring fish. Don't get me wrong - both are beautiful in their own way!

I have often seen them on redds in november timeframe, big two-foot to two and a half foot fish, strikingly marked, and spawning.

BobK

#3 ·
Spring Spawner

Bob, that is very interesting. I am in CO and the fish in the picture was taken near my home. The female that I mentioned was completely silver. Here is another silver fish that was taken in the spring about 2 miles upstream. Perhaps these fish show different coloration because they are from different strains.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.