Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boston Harbor

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Capt.Wayne 
#1 ·
Sunday, May 19, 2002: I had the pleasure of taking out Dana Ono and his friend Wayne Marasco today on what would be one of the coldest May mornings
I can remember! The fish cooperated at first light and for a few hours into the going tide. The bass were mainly on the small side up to about 24" on the fly. A gray/lavendar half and half worked well when fished deep.The wind picked up around 9:00 am and it was slim pickin's afterwards. The bulk of the activity occured in the main channel off Castle I. At one point there must have been @ 35 small craft in the general vacinity, but all anglers and captains were respectful of one another's space.

Monday, May 20, 2002: The weather has been unstable and the wind today shifted to the southeast making for tough late afternoon fishing. Andrew Cornell
of PA and friend Evelyn from Falmouth, England enjoyed an afternoon of fly fishing the Harbor. We got out a few hours prior to high tide but nothing much was happening in Boston. A quick run to Hingham Bay found terns working small baitfish (silversides) in the Fore River area. Evelyn caught his first striped bass and both anglers managed to land a couple schoolies before the tide slacked. We heeaded back to Boston but again the fishing was very slow. At dusk, the terns in Boston got their act together and marked a school of bass on small bait at Governor's Island flats. Both Andrew and Evelyn agreed they had a "splended" afternoon on the water. As a guide, I work hard to put my sports onto fish and always feel somewhat badly when the fishing is slow. However, one of the best days I ever had on the water occurred this past winter in Florida on another guides boat. Even though I only caught one very small jack, the time I spent with my brother and nephew was priceless.This weekend promises warner temps. and a great incoming tide so the fishing ought to improve significantly.
It's a minus tide, so boaters beware...

Until next week, we'll see you out there...

Upcoming Events for 2002:

CCA-MA, South Shore Chapter One Fly-One Lure Tournament & Barbecue
Date: TBA

Capt. Wayne Frieden
Reel Dream Charters
reeldream2@attbi.com
Scituate, MA
781-545-6263

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.