Fly Fishing Forum banner

Finding the right floating line!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
I'm looking for new floating lines for my 5wt. and 8wt. both Sage XP, the one I have on my 5wt. is a sage performance taper, the tip startet to sink after a few weeks! I think that these lines are made by 3M so I think I won't consider 3M made lines. I have a rio versitip on my 8wt it floats well but isn't as slick as a orvis wonderline (also made by 3M I think!).
So I don't now what to buy out of this finale choice:
Rio Grand 5wt. (Did somebody try it with an XP in 5wt?)
Orvis wonderline.
Or something esle?
Did somebody test the clouser line from rio on a XP?
Thanks for help jc.

#2 ·
what will you be casting? I like the SA lines, including the Sage ones. The LongCast and the Ultra 3 are the gold standards (imho). I assume that you have cleaned the lines and that is not the reason for it sinking. I have cast both the Rio grand, long cast and classic. I really like the Classic. The Grand is a little heavier and might work better with bigger flies. Is there any way for you to try the lines on your rod? Maybe borrow friends and cast shop's demo lines?
Tell us what you find out.

#3 ·
Floating lines

I took good care of the line, before 1. use I sealed the end and I cleaned them and treated them with 3M silicone...
I will use the 5wt mostly for nymph fishing sometimes a dryfly.
The 8wt will be used mostly with big flies made out of bunny plus weight...
You can't buy rio lines in switzerland (not as I know) you have to order them... so testing is difficult!
j.c.

#4 ·
Realism setting in....

I have tried virtually every line out there, including Cortland 555, Sci Anglers (3M), Orvis, Wulff, etc. etc. looking for the "perfect" floating line. Yeah, I want it to float out to the tip.

It doesn't exist yet.

Best I have found is to make sure the line is totally dry, tie on a new leader attachment (a leader segment of roughly 25 lb. test mono) with a loop on the end for attachment of leaders, and after assuring I have a good connection and trimming the excesses, coating the knot/tag ends with two or three coats of Aquaseal.

I also dress the first 30' or so after each use with a silicone fly line dressing.

Is it perfect? No, but I can live with it. Do I like it? No, a line should FLOAT all the way to the end. But it will work until a perfect line comes along.

BobK, realist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.