Fly Fishing Forum banner

PETA flyer

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This could have a greater impact than the usual BS that comes out of the group because of Disney's ability to anthropomorphisize its animal characters. Kids relate to them because they are portrayed to have feelings, emotions, and the ability to speak.

This is yet another reason to raise kids to be strong and able to make decisions for themselves. No lemmings, please!

#3 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so isolated from the realities of the outdoors as to think that it's better to spend our time and energy worrying about the fish's feelings than to worry about the hollistic forces that wipe out entire populations of said "warm and fuzzy" fish.

GET A CLUE!

#8 ·
There is nothing wrong with teaching children to respect animals

and to be sensitive to their feelings. Maybe Jeffery Dahmer would have turned out a little different.
pita...yawn.
pita alerts...yawn.
Clean Air/Water & Endangered Species Acts...let's cry about pita instead.
Jim, it has been said that children who are adversly affected by television, have television for parents. I can't wait to take my girl fishing.

#10 ·
PETA is right, we should be "nice" to

the other animals on the planet. Instead, let's start fishing and hunting for PETA members. I can't think of many things in life more gratifying than bagging a trophy PETA member and having them mounted on the wall (no catch and release here, it's too inhumane to traumatize them once and then send them back to their homes). ;)

#11 ·
That sushi pic is HILARIOUS! Bravo! :chuckle:

Yes, as others have said it's important to have a sense of respect for animals, even their feelings. But in order to eliminate carnage from their daily grind would be to eliminate all predation on earth, a literal genocide of all animals who live by earth's code, a broad spectrum of organisms who each day are part of an important and unrelenting cycle of eat or be eaten; the way of the earth regardless of what such self-declared holier-than-thou humanoids profess about life from their pre-warmed leather bucket seats set to individual preferences in eurocars with little windshield wipers on the headlights.

If animals could speak such that they could express their 'feelings' I wonder if they would prefer predation over extinction?

In fact if not for predation, the human evolutionary process would have likely ended many millenia ago, and the whole of our species would not have advanced to the point where candy-asses could contemplate such nonsense as vegetarian sharks.

The reality is, on this miraculous blue orb in the cosmos we tether precariously in orbit to the beat of an ever-faster drum stomping all manner of organisms into the earth as we steal habitat from them, violating the delicate balances of their domains and then sit at dinner parties and contemplate their emotions.

Man is apt to be ecentric to the realities of nature, particularly since we are so successful a species on earth. We tend to so easily forget that in reality, life preys upon life, and that *is* normal.

#13 ·
I have done a little research and PETA may not have Disney's blessing after all. I do wonder why the Disney company would be letting PETA use Nemo and friends in an ad campaign without their approval. I would think that Disney would take legal action to stop PETA.

#14 ·
Great photos Jim! Poor little Nemo!

I'm pretty sure that Disney World has bass fishing ponds and even hosts a bass tournament or two. A quick internet search turned up this result (mods -- feel free to disable the link if this is contrary to FFF policy):

http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/fishing.htm

Q

#15 ·
Gentlemen--

Since I work for Disney with about five degrees of separation, I passed this to my editor at one of the B.A.S.S. publications. BASS, as you may or may not know, is owned by ESPN, which in turn is owned by Disney.

Her reply was that the official position is that the pirating of Nemo was not sanctioned nor approved by Disney in any way. There is no link except the use of copyrighted material without permission.

The stance makes sense as Disney does have bass ponds at Disneyworld and owns and operates B.A.S.S.-- the company that puts on the BASSMaster Classic and all the associated tournaments. Here I would do a drum roll, but they don't pay me that much.

It would make me feel good to see Disney hunt PETA down and sue the pants off them, but I doubt they'll do it. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of cease-and-desist order.

Keith

#16 ·
This supposed permission to use the Disney characters, and it's further discovery of Disney's "blessing" as non-existent, rekindles a discussion I read regarding revocation of this whackjob organization's not-for-profit status at both federal and individual states' chapter levels. As a personal opinion, I'd lobby for that to happen.

#17 ·
Why would you rather spend time fighting with pita when there are so many real threats that have a far greater impact to fishermen? I don't get it. pita has proven to have NO influence in the United States, yet the environment is under constant threat. Fish and Game in most states is being reduced to a ghost as their funds are being reapropriated. Open space and the ability to access it is decreasing. Fish stocks are severely depleted. and on and on, yet the way people talk about peta, one would think that they are a major issue. What has pita done beyond spouting hot air?

#18 ·
No one is wasting time fighting PETA, we're just enjoying some time ridiculing them!

If you look at the ranks in this community you will see some serious commitment to very important causes, much more than most walks of life, especially PETA!

#20 ·
PETA / Vegetarians

In the Simpsons episode where Lisa climbed the giant tree to prevent it from being cut down, she looked up to a hippy bunny hugging dude whose name I can't remember. When Lisa commented to him that she was a vegetarian, he replied something like this...

"I'm a 7th level vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow."

Absolutely hilarious.

Plants have feelings too, don't they?

#21 ·
I don't think PETA is a joke. Well their cause is but PETA itself is well organized, well funded and has the support of more then a few very public people such actors, actresses and a couple of idiot politicians. Not that that gives them anymore credibility with me but I think it does with the common Joe. They have a definite agenda and a ban on fishing is a very real part of that agenda. I don’t think keeping an eye on PETA is a waste of time.

While I occasionally watch what peta is doing I don’t let that detract me from the issues that are affecting fishing here in the northwest where I live. I am still involved with many organizations in my area which deal directly with the problems affecting fish and other resources. Peta will never change that.

#22 ·
I'm for Bunker Rights! I think we should actively pursue the murderous Stripers and Blues that harass the peaceful pods of bunker.

At any rate, I agree the real battles are elsewhere, but we'll keep a watchful eye on the PETA idiots. The real challenge is keeping the kids in touch with the natural cycles. Disney makes everything human and denies nature.

Lefty

#23 ·
"Not that that gives them anymore credibility with me but I think it does with the common Joe."
Kerry, give the common Joe a little more credit please. Me and my friends and most people would describe themselves as "common Joe". We/They are not stupid.
pita has had NO effect on policy. Average Joe as you like to call him, laughs at pita. So do most others. Like every one, the I cheer for the celebs I agree with, and deride the ones I disagree with. You do the same I'm sure. In this case, the horse('s ass) does not lead the cart.
I am glad that most people recognize the real threats to fishing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.