Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Cod go to flies

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Planning my first trip to the cape cod area to do some
Striper fishing in the flat in June. I'd like to tie my own
flies but have no idea what to tie for this area.
Any advise (pictures are better) would be appreciated.

regards,
steve

#3 ·
The fly isnt the most important thing you bring out on the flats.

If you wade the bayside (north side) bring your wits and play the tides carefully. The change in tide often exceeds ten feet and many have drowned there. That being said, the fishing is excellent in June and if you are keeping high ground between you and the real shoreline you will be in for some phenomenal fishing.

On the Soundside and Monomoy the tide won't get you but you can be 50 yards away from the best fishing of your life and never know it. However if you slosh around the fish will not be there when you arrive. Stealth, high level thinking and good presentations to the fish you see will put more fish on the line than what's on the end of the tippet.

But that being said, as Fred mentioned you will get great reactions with a realistically tied sand eel fly, the shoals are full of them and they are like candy to stripers. Crab patterns are deadly, as are spun deerhair shrimp (Jim Bender style), a variety of offerings will do the job as the stripers are used to seeing a potpourri of tidbits on the flats.

Bright mode for spring, fall and oceanside

I focus on the deep eel as a starting point and 'read' the fish's reactions to make fly changes, keeping in mind that each pod you encounter could be in a whole different groove from the last.

Playing the averages with a deel eel gives the best odds over the course of a tide change in my experience, and given one fly it would be the one for me.

Until a new one takes it's place :lildevl:

#5 ·
I haven't tied or tried them to tell the truth but Dave Pearson used to fish them a lot before he joined the root beer deep eel brotherhood himself. But I've seen Jim doing well with them in the past and know they are a good fly to have in the box for sure, worth a mention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.