Fly Fishing Forum banner

Things are picking up

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  steelheadmike 
#1 ·
After a weekend with the family in Boston, I headed out yesterday for a little break. I headed to the Stamford shore at Cove Island Park. Due to the very warm weather, 92 degrees, there were people every place you looked. I was able to find some space and waded out to a small rip that I never noticed before. I was able to pull up 7 stripers in 2 1/2 hours all between 18 and 22 inches. Not monsters, but good fighters. Bright with sea lice. Clousers and yes, Flat Wings, to about 4 to 5 inches did the trick. Loads of silversides around. I'll try to get to Norwalk, Westport and Sherwood Island later in the week. Good fishing early in the year. I Love It!:whoa:

#3 ·
Norwalk

I was up in Norwalk last Sunday and all was quiet. I'll be there again this weekend probably Saturday evening. I went last night to a secret beach on the Hudson to test out my new Powell 8wt AXS ( snapped my other one ) and get some kinks out of my cast. I saw a huge fish boil about 250ft away! Must have been in the 30lb mark. After about 1,000 casts I went home empty. Just nice to get out and relax.

Maybe I'll see ya out there Jimmy.

Whatever happened to Conn-Clave ? Perhaps the Norwalk / Fairfeild area could be considered. Good launch for the Boaters and plenty of beaches and sand bars to fish from shore. Just a thought.

#4 ·
Sounds like a plan! I've been wondering when the Norwalk Islands will get going - reports from various forums suggest that there is increasing inshore activity from the upper Hudson all the way to Rhoddy.

The first big push should come once temps in the Hudon hit 58 F. Thats apparently the magic number that triggers spawning activity. Locals in the know up at Esopus report that once they've spawned, they don't hang around very long and that means they are coming our way:D

Just checked and it's currently 53.4F at the Battery NY - gota be a bit warmer upriver!

#5 ·
Adrian

I've heard all sorts of reports. The fish are definately making a dash up river. Usually you could walk across them this time of year by me. They just dont seem to be hanging around long. My uncle picked one up 35lbs 2 days ago!! But its spotty at best. An old timer once told me that when the Dog Wood Trees bloom thats the best time to fish for them. Did they bloom yet? Or is it in May?

Note that these Spawners will hit anything on the way out of the Hudson!! They are hungry as hell and are looking for food. I guess after all that Nookie they really work up an appetite.

#7 ·
Bloomin'

Sorry to hear that Dave. But remember, the more you get cleaned now, to more time to fish later.

Steelheadmike... I don't know about the old timer but the dog woods a starting to bloom in my yard.:) I just think that the warm winter has pushed things up by a few weeks. I could be wrong, who knows? The fish are here earlier than previous years. What ever the reason, I'm not going to complain.

#9 ·
Re: Norwalk

steelheadmike said:
Whatever happened to Conn-Clave ? Perhaps the Norwalk / Fairfeild area could be considered. Good launch for the Boaters and plenty of beaches and sand bars to fish from shore. Just a thought.
Mike,
The Conn-Clave is still on, probably June 1 (and maybe 2), in the Old Lyme/Old Saybrook/Hammonasset areas. Of course, this doesn't rule out another event in Norwalk/Fairfield :) I've never fished there so it would be great to check it out with someone who knows the area. Let me know if you're interested in joining us for the Conn-Clave and I'll add you to the list. I'll be working on the game plan and will send messages to the people who indicated that they would like to attend.

Q

#11 ·
Hope you can make it Mike -- I'll put you on the list and keep you posted. As for convincing your friends to stop in CT before heading to the Cape, well, I'd hate to be responsible for what may happen if the fishing in CT is a bust! :hehe:
Q

#12 ·
Steelheadmike

I was thinking of Compo and/or Shrewood in the morning. The love of my life also said something about hanging the new curtains or it would be curtains for me.:confused: :hehe: High tide is around 4:15 AM and 5:00 PM. I'm still going to try to make it out there. I'll be the guy with the curtain rod stuck in his ear. :D

#13 ·
Sherwood / Compo

Jimmy,

Was up at the Mill Pond an Burying Hill on Sunday. The tide was 6:20am High. Saw only 2 fish caught and they were not by me. Stayed until around 11:30am before I packed it in. Cold, Cloudy, Fishless..... still better than being home. I'll be there next week if the weather permits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.