Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon/steelhead and whale watching

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I may plan a trip out west sometime in the next year or 2--I would like to be on the NW or Canada coast with primo fly fishing opportunity (I've never salmon or steelhead fished and would like to try)--but I would like to bring my wife and have a beautiful area for her--and the opportunity to whale watch. Any ideas--season, location, and a nice lodge? Thanks!

#2 ·
Well the catch is whale watching... I think that will put you into coho salmon action (amazing fishery) with a coastal lodge and whale watching but not likely to have steelhead in the same spot.

Tofino in BC or many places in Juneau / southeast AK would fit the bill.

#3 ·
Another area you might want to check out is the Queen Charlotte Islands. Although steelhead would be MIA (most likely), lots of coho, whales, pristine scenery and regional cultural history would be there for you two to take in. There are several lodges on the two main islands, including a floating lodge.

-- cheers,

Eric

#4 ·
wow I surface from negotiations to see this Eric is correct hit the Charlottes. I had Orcas 5' from my boat 2 miles off shore, seen Orcas take a salmn off an anglers line. Humpback are also available for viewing.

Juro, I'm looking at living on Bainbridge! I've provide my requirements we will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.