Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon fishing in tampa

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am going on a trip to tampa from the 24th of april to may 1st. I am planning on a do it yourself kind of trip. My uncle has a boat and I am planning on using it for a few days. I would like to find information on how to locate the fish. I really cant afford a guide, so any information will help.

Dan

#2 ·
I'm not an expert dan, but i do know that they hitthe sanibel/Capitva, Boca Roton area the beginning of May thru late June...you might be a bit early in tampa...either way, the tarpon pattern is usually going thru passes between islands and Pine island Sound and charlote harbor in the areas i mentioned above. You are about an hour north of boca,

#3 ·
PS: Dan...there is a local bait shop on sanibel and the guys there are very knowledgeable and open to giving info....the place is called the "Bait Box", it's on periwinkle way...they have a web site if you look the up. i would suggest you call them before your trip and see if the tarpons have arrived in that area.
Also of note if you are interested.....the beginning of May, snook run the shorelines of sanibel.........as in 2 to 20 ft off shore, in droves (cast at least 15 ft back from the shore line..........they may be a good back up. I have yet to fish for tarpon as we go down in january.........but we are looking forward to a mid to late May trip for both snook and tarpon......re tarpon....according to the guys at the bait box..............just go to any pass and look for rolling tarpon. They reportedly are not way inside the Pine island sound nor Charlotte harbor.....they are primarilty in the passes or near by....if in the harbor, they are in the deeper channels. Lucky you!!!!! ...and good luck!
ron

#5 ·
I'm going to be on Sanibel/Captiva from April 24 - May 1. Went a couple of years ago at this time and saw very few tarpon and none caught by trollers let alone by fly-guys.

At this time also, the snook had not gone out through the pass, and the fishing in the mangroves for them was spotty. Nevertheless, I can't wait to get back there and try my luck -- redfish, snook, tarpon, blue fish, ladyfish, weakfish, jacks, gaff-topsail catfish -- lots of interesting targets.

Cheers,

Eric

#6 ·
Going May 7 to Boca Grande Fl. for tarpon and anything else snook, reds, etc. I will be in a boat. Is a full sink line necessary? I have a floating line. Want to cover all bases. If so what would you recommend. The sink line would be for fish other than tarpon.

#7 ·
I use a clear, intermediate line a lot on Captiva/Sanibel. I really like it. Floating lines in the mangroves for snook. Intermediate for dock-light fishing, reds/trout in deeper water and casting out into the Gulf. Sinking lines when I'm blind casting in the pass.

God, I can't wait to get there. Just hope that Jack-stealing Pelican has died in the meantime. I don't think I'd have the strength to go another couple rounds with that big beaked b*****d again.

Cheers,

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.