Fly Fishing Forum banner

A trip to both Eleuthera and Andros

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
We are considering a combination trip next May that will allow us to spend approx 6 days on Eleuthera (we haven't been yet) and maybe 4 on Andros (have visited twice).

Is there a flight / airlines that flies between these islands or do we have to go back thru Nassau?

We want to do mostly DIY in both locations and will likely hire guides on ocassion to help aim us in the right direction. Also, we're open to suggestions on where to stay on both islands. While on Andros we stayed at Kamalame but those days are long over. For affordability, we've looked at the Rainbow Inn on Eleuthera and Mt Pleasant Inn on Andros. We would likley hire Solomon Murphy (from Stafford Creek) while on Andros as he is just a great guide.

Lastly, my wife is an avid sea glass and shell collector. Are there areas on each island that we should visit?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Glenn

#5 ·
I've seen a plane at North Eleuthera airport that provides direct flights to Andros and some other Family Island destinations. The company is called Bahama Hoppers
http://www.bahamahoppers.com/index.html
I think they are more of a charter service than operating regular flights but not sure about that and don't know about the costs and how they would compare with flying back to Nassau and then out again to the other island. Might be worth checking out.

#6 ·
You'll definitely have to go back through Nassau unfortunately.

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you traveling with just your wife, and you're both going to do DIY? I've never been to Eleuthera, but have spent months on Andros in the last 10 years. For DIY you need to stay on the bights since there's very little fishing on the ocean side. One of your best bets would be to look into a boat to shuttle you to some flats in the morning and pick you up at night. Fishing the creeks isn't really a great option for the shuttle since pretty much all of the flats aren't something you can wade between, but you can do that in the bights in quite a few places. I'd also consider finding someone that can rent you a couple of kayaks. Honestly Andros wouldn't be my first choice for a DIY spot because of the difficulty of getting from one DIY flat to another. Acklins and Crooked are the easiest places to do a DIY in my opinion.

#7 ·
Clarification

teflon_jones said:
You'll definitely have to go back through Nassau unfortunately.

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you traveling with just your wife, and you're both going to do DIY? I've never been to Eleuthera, but have spent months on Andros in the last 10 years. For DIY you need to stay on the bights since there's very little fishing on the ocean side. One of your best bets would be to look into a boat to shuttle you to some flats in the morning and pick you up at night. Fishing the creeks isn't really a great option for the shuttle since pretty much all of the flats aren't something you can wade between, but you can do that in the bights in quite a few places. I'd also consider finding someone that can rent you a couple of kayaks. Honestly Andros wouldn't be my first choice for a DIY spot because of the difficulty of getting from one DIY flat to another. Acklins and Crooked are the easiest places to do a DIY in my opinion.
We would be travelling together and both doing DIY on Andros and Eleuthera. She has other interests (shlling, sea glass collecting) so would be doing that between bonefishing.

We have gathered much DIY info on Eleuthera on this board. We were considering DIY on Andros with Mt Pleasant Lodge. Do you have experience with there? What DIY opportunities would you recommend on Andros?

thanks,

Glenn

#8 ·
I haven't stayed at Mt Pleasant lodge before, but I looked up their location and info. They're on North Andros which is the one part of Andros I haven't visited. However, I've fished ocean side flats quite a bit on Andros and they're definitely not as good fishing as the rest of the island. Usually you see schools of fish, including resident schools that don't really move very far from day to day. Most of these are pretty decent sized schools but some smaller schools and doubles and triples will be found too. Overall though the numbers of fish will be a lot more limited than other places on the island.

Based on the satellite maps I don't see much if any wading right near there. It looks like you have to go a couple of miles north to get to a decent bunch of flats. Overall I don't think it's a place to spend a week fishing but more like just a few days, unless you throw a guided day or two in there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.