Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for Lavender & Pastel maribou

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
I've been looking for lavender maribou and have not found it at 4 shops so far. Has anyone seen it at a sponsor?

#2 ·
John,

I'm afraid you are probably going to have to dye it yourself to get the color, or pay someone to custom dye it for you becasue it is not a common color. Get some good purple acid dye (Jacquard, FLY DYE, Organic Dyestuff - anything but Veniard) some synthropal, and make a very weak dye bath. The key is a weak dye bath, check the color by using a piece of white paper towel. Add the white marabou to the dye bath and about a 1/4 cup of vinegar after heating the dye bath to about 140 degrees. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes to get it done.

#3 ·
...worth a try...

John...
One of the guys at the Bear's Den (a sponsor in Taunton MA) has been turning out some very nice pastel bucktails and hackles...I'll bet if you gave them a call you might find what you're looking for!

Tell Scott I send regards...

#8 ·
I talked to Scott at the Bearsden...

He said if you wanted soft, pastel maribou...John the DyeMeister could probably make it so.
I suggested a batch of assorted colours be prepaired for the Marlboro show in January...They may run with that idea if they get some positive feedback!
If it turns out as GOOD as their bucktails and hackles, I'll be paying a visit to the shop for an early preview and will leave with an arm full.

#9 ·
I found some at a craft store. It's not the quality I like to use, but they will be good enough for the small streamers I will tie from them. I haven't checked to see how colorfast these feathers are yet so they may be trash.

If anyone finds good quality blood maribou dyed like the color below I'm still interested.

Attachments

#13 ·
Beau -

And I feel like the auditor getting pressure from both ends!

There is a difference between naming a name and providing a direct link to someone's commercial site.

Besides, the policy is not to prevent even a direct hyperlink reference, it's to ask that you follow that up with an email suggesting the Forum as a candidate for sponsorship.

I stand between your comments and those of the sponsors who pay the bills. I take no pay from running this site, although it's reaching the breaking point for time and effort. All proceeds go to running the site and rewarding it's contributors, and our costs are shooting upward. We are all big kids here and know by now there are no free rides. Our lack of profit taking has kept it as free as possible, but don't get the wrong impression - raising the funds to keep things going is no easy task for some of us.

It all boils down to this:

It's easy to express what you don't like about a situation, but that's all useless unless you have suggestions for alternative approaches.

I am open to any sincere suggestions from all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.