Fly Fishing Forum banner

Just getting started

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bogymaker 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm just getting started in this sport and want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I just purchaced a Ross Cimmeron 3 reel, which takes line wts 5,6,&7. I am looking at a St. Croix Avid 9' 6wt 4piece rod. Is this a good rod for the money? I plan on fishing mostly for Trout and occasionaly Steelhead or Bass. I fish mostly in West Michigan on medium size rivers that feed into Lake Michigan. Would this outfit work well for this type of fishing? Thanks

#2 ·
The 6wt should be OK. If you do find yourself fishing steelhead and bass more often though a 7wt would be a little better. Easier to throw the bigger flies associated with bass and steelhead. If the trout are big a 7wt is not too much overkill.

-sean

#3 ·
On The Other Side Of The Fly

Bogymaker,
First, let me say welcome! Always good to see folks taking up a great sport like Flyfishing. I would say if your fishing for Trout more than 60-70% of your time, then the 6wt should be fine, and I might add that if the fish in your area are on average 8-14 " in length, then my money would be on a 5wt of the same brand that you described in your post. That is the set-up that I fish with, for Trout, Bass, and other fresh water Game Fish. I find it most suitable for a range of conditions. You can always get a 7wt and an extra spool for that reel at a later date. Keep us posted on what you get.
BTW, I have landed 18-20+" Trout with that set-up.......YEAH BABY, no problem!
Good casting!

Deerhawk

#4 ·
started

welcome!!
Now that you got the Bug!!
get a better Rod than the St.croix!!
like a sage or used winston boron grafite you can get great buys on used riods
and a better rod will last years longer!
you are in a great area to fish and try to join a trout Unlimited chapter near you
they will welcome you with open arms!!
Go to the tu site and look for a chapter in your area and state
Tight Lines
maurice :)

#5 · (Edited)
I have the Avid in a 2 peice...... its a good rod for the price, just make sure you have a warrantee, they are pretty good about replacing these rods, the only trouble I see in them as maurice said is that they are kind of "accident prone". It has handles many nice trout between 12 and 18 inches and a few bass around that size too, but alot of the flies typically used for bass are going to be very difficult to cast, but if your plan ist for average streamers and big nymphs, it is a near perfect rod for someone on a budget.

Its a judgement call,

#6 ·
Thanks for the replys. After visiting a local Fly Shop and checking out some different Rods and talking to one of the instructors I ended up buying a Sage DS2 9' 6wt 2 piece. He agreed that the St Croix was a very good rod for the money, but since the Sage DS2 has been discontinued I could pick one up for @ the same price. Now all I need is a lesson or 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.