Fly Fishing Forum banner

Waders

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I've done my share of swimming in waders(I am the original"deep wader"). What do people think about wearing them while in the yak? I'm not so scared of swimming in them, but pulling my self out of the water and weighing an extra 100# could be a concern. I am not speaking from experience. This summer I will try it in shallow water and see.
Any one else know?

#4 ·
Eddie...They don't call Striblue the "iron-alloy-man" for nothin'... Just because there's a Canadian cold front pushing through and the wind chill is ******** dreadful, John will not be caught dead in waders... I think maybe something happened to him when he was a child... and now he seems to be terrified of rubber/latex/neoprene/whatever...the worst case of clostrophobicwaderphobia I've ever seen.
But then again, if I had his legs!!! Go figure!?:hehe:

#5 ·
Good question Eddie -

The way I see it, waders are a necessity in mid-summer because even slighter cooler water saps all the heat from the body with time. I recall days of chattering teeth on a 90 degree day after standing in water that swimmers would classify as "very nice" for a couple of hours. If your fishing will involve extended time in the water then they are a must. If you are planning on this type of fishing in between paddling (or should I say paddling in between this kind of fishing) then you probably need waders.

If the structures you plan to fish are land structures like shorelines, points and jetties, I would say there is no need for them. Therefore you would not need waders when getting to and fro.

If you are talking about fishing from the kayak, I see no point in waders at all.

I do not plan to fish from the yak at all. I plan to fish from the places the yak takes me. Many of them are submerged shoals and structures. I will wear waders with scuba boots to allow swimming if needed and wear my CO2 PFD. I also carry a half used roll of duct tape to close the top of my waders in the event I need to swim. Of course one can't anticipate swimming all the time so that's only as good as the situation permits but it beats the heck out just of a wader belt.

On those days when I plan to trek to land structures unavailable to the shorebound angler where I will not be standing in water very long or very deep (ankle deep) I will be indulge in the chance to wear just shorts and sandals.

So for me it really depends on the fishing venue of the day.

#7 ·
...It's important to realize your own capabilities and know when you're approaching the cutting edge of disintigration. Most of the Pungo style hulls are inherintly stable and, with a conservative application of novice skill, not easily dumped when exposed to sheltered waters (bays, channels, etc). Waders...no worries!
...Open water presents more advanced challenges and I would hesitate crashing through surf trying to get out or riding waves back in while encumbered by anything other than a wet suit. Ride the waves in a boat designed to track straight and you WILL end up broadside to the wave back to the beach...great fun but very wet and you will take on alot of gas.
...Gotta' know your "limitations" and try to paddle with a buddy.
My .02...

#8 ·
I usually do not wear them for the simple reason that I do a lot of beach walking... don't need them on a boat or the Yak. I do ,however, agree with Juro that if you are spending many hours on the flats in water you will feel it. I usually do not stand in the water for hours on end. Hot days and even in the mornings from 5 to 8 or 9 is not long enough to get me cold especially at the Chatham light. I like to travel light and it is less taxing when you do death marches on beaches and deep sand.

#9 ·
I was asking about the safety issue of wearing them. So if one was to paddle to Monomoy for instance, would you put them on when you get there or befor? Could you use them to extend the season in a sit on top? I think that if I had time to create an effective seal with tape, I might be inclined to just take them off.
Only a nut would go out in a kayak without a PFD...IMHO.

#10 ·
Eddie, I dont think I'd wear waders when paddling. I have lightweight boot foot waders which slip on and off in seconds.

I've been reading about the advantages of SOTs in cold weather. Paddle with a wet suit and special items for hands, head & feet and PFD!!! Then when you arrive, slip on lightweight waders over wetsuit - very cosy!! In warmer months, adapt accordingly.

#11 ·
SOT"s in cold weather... no thanks

they tend to be less stable(you're above the water not in it) , nothing to break the wind,and every splash is hitting you. I vote sit in... with waders. I think FLY ROD + REEL did a story on swimming with waders, the breathables and neoprene were about the same... the author floated easily. Tom D

#12 ·
Eddie

Are they safe yes and no.Depends on where and when.Say you are going to paddle small strecthes of open water like going to Monomoy I would say yes.Wear a belt around them .Wear sandals or dive booties.If ya go in the neoprene waders will act like a wet suit.I use them all the time.Most of my paddling is within a 1/4 mile of shore.I always try to fish with a buddy.I have a Pungo but I am getting a SOT for Xmas.Need something faster and easy in /out .I think I will purchase a dry suit for next fall for yakking.I have no reservations about wearing waders in my yak.The most important thing is to always wear a PFD.Know your limitations and dont take risks.
SOTs are used alot on the west coast where water temps are seldom above 60.They wear wetsuits or drysuits.They often fish 2-5 miles offshore.Everybody has a opinion this is mine.

Adrians Idea would work well
We do some Island hopping and keep them on all the time .Also wearing wading boots.If ya go over you can easily take off your boots and toss them into your yak.Everybody talks about swimming I would rather get back into my yak.I know if I had to get out of my waders in the water I could.But I think It would take a while for them to fill up.

TomD You say SOTS are less stable .They probaley are compared to a Pungo.But when you first got your yak it felt tippy but once you got your balance down it was ok.Guys on the left coast have been using them for along time.If ya go over they do not fill up with water.They are easier to get back onto.With the exception of being more exposed I think they have a advantage in alot of situations.

Striblue You are a animal that water on the Cape is cold even in July.

I fish with a bunch of hardcore guys from anther board and 90 % of them wear waders. Most have SOTs .I have fished close to 200 hrs from the yak this year and have not been with anyone who went over .We are always trying to be as safe as possible .

Anyway I thought I would share this stuff with ya guys.
Cant wait to get achance to meet some of ya and do some yakking.
joev

#13 ·
Joev

Saw a couple of your posts on other boards looking for comparisons of WS Tarpon to other boats. I like the look of the Tarpon - fast boat = less tiring paddling and my primary goal is getting from A to B quick and safe. The Cobra Expedition looks pretty awesome too but more $$$.

I live in CT also and am thinking about signing up for lessons from this lady.....

http://www.kayak-adventure.net

She has some interesting things to say about yaks and cold weather padling.

#15 ·
Joev, Newtown here.

Not fished this coast much - couple of Norwalk Island trips a couple of years back and odd runs down to Milford (Housy, Short Beach & silver sands.

Trouble is, once Chatham gets going, I can't imagine fishing anywhere else. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that being mobile will open up a lot of the great fishing which I know is available along LI sound but inaccessible from shore

#16 ·
Adrian I live in Bristol.A guy I yak with Jim Wesly lives in Newtown.Lots of action around here.Its a long ride to Chatham How often do you fish there?I missed out on the spring action with yak.Bought it in July.I still ended up with 52 fish +30 to 40 inches another 50+ 22-30 inches and about 500 schoolies in 3 months almost in your back yard.All from shore.We will have to hookup this spring.Once mid May rolls around I fish 4 times a week till 3rd week in June.Talk to ya soon .
joev

#17 ·
I plan to ware suplex pants and put on my waders after beaching my yak. Wareing waders in a yak is asking for trouble in my opinion. I had a close call this past summer . Hit my head on a rock had stocking foot waders on and was luckly to get to shore to save myself. Let me tell you from experience. Things happen so fast when you are in trouble you don't have time to think about anything but saving yourself. The swimming pool wader test is fine for a slip in a stream, but it is a different story if your yak is upsidedown and you are off shore treading water.
FishHawk

#18 ·
Good point FishHawk. The more I read it seems that bottom line is you can swim in waders ok - provided you are conscious. Achieving a Kayak self rescue may be a different story.

#19 ·
Joev, almost missed your post! Those are some pretty impressive stats! Last season I made the Chatham trip about 10 times from May through August. It is a long hike but it was worth it!

I'm looking forward to next season. Should be picking up a yak around March time then sign up with Ms Kayak down in Norwalk for some lessons. Should be ship shape by the time things get going. It would be great to hook up with you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.