Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fighting butt

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
I'm spinning up a 7wt St. Croix ultra legend. Burled cork handle shaped on the blank, with the help of a friend. Thanks Pete! I'm even thinking of attemping a simple diamond butt wrap. I want to make a small fighting butt out of the burled cork, I think I can handle that. My dillema is what to use to seal the end of the butt. I'll have 2 burled cork rings on the blank below the reel seat. Anyone know a source for composite (rubberized) cork material or have any creative ideas to cap off the end?

#2 ·
Fighting Buts

Jim Rubberized Cork material can be found at companies selling and manufacturing custom gaskets and seals. You may not be able to find the total thickness you want but you could build it up and the form to shape.

If you want a solid rubber tip look to Medical supply stores and you may find a replacement crutch tip or cane tip that would fit your requirement. Some metal furniture also have tips of the type you are looking for.

Good Luck saltRon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.