Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bahamas

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
My wife is deciding whether to take the train to Florida or fly directly to Tha Bahamas. With out asking to much is there a list of good guides and is there a web site in can check on the way. I will be bringing a lap top. This is really a family vacation so I probably will not get to fish much. Also, are there any areas where I can simply shore fish?

#2 ·
Not sure which area you are targeting in the Bahamas, but if you are going to Andros try http://www.moxeybonefish.com/ (<!--http--><a href="http://www.moxeybonefish.com/" target="_blank">click</a><!--url-->). Joel Moxey has been corresponding with folks occasionally and has been helpful.

If you are thinking of the northern end around Spanish Wells, make sure you read Kevin O'Connors article and contact him for details. He is headed back down there next month as a matter of fact.

Do you know where you will be in the Bahamas?

#3 ·
Juro, thanks... I got some go info while surfing this site in the bonefish section... I think we will be staying at Cable Beach.. Since There is a ton of info in FFF on the Bahamas... I might want to know about "on your own" shore fishing.. By the way I will keep in touch with you as the week goes so ,please, no hurry on the info.

#4 ·
Here's a link to the section if anyone else is curious or lucky!

<!--http--><a href="http://flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=bones_tarpon&Post=3" target="_blank">LINK</a><!--url-->

There is also some email correspondence I can forward to you from the last year, pros and lodges located in the Bahamas.

Maybe we could give you a webcam for your laptop....

#5 ·
Dolphin...Tuna...thursday afternoon... reports to follow. Will fish for Barracuda and Permit from shore today...(way on shore phisically.. Will make use of the Boga grip and hope to avoid leaps). more later. John

#9 ·
OK, OK Gregg I get it. You won't hear that from me on that score.. I went shore fishing this AM, off a coral bar saw fish a foot or two long but did not hook up. Caught two, Red snappers I think, anyway I did not bring a stripping basket and talk about the hook ups of my line on the coral. Stripped into small pools of water to avoid the problem but lost a number of flies on the submerged coral. See Gregg, I am have problems. I hope you feel sorry for me. just kidding ,I will let you know about the guide boat trip. Juro, at this resort it would not be fish I would film.

#11 ·
Heh heh!
At first I didn't get what you said but reread my post and decided it could be interpreted as sarcastic. (Oh the dangers of written communication!) Anyway I was serious - I really do want to hear how great it is. I have a great ability to daydream so that ghostly figure fishing next to you just might be me doing some kind of weird dream transport thing.

#12 ·
Gregg, I know you meant it but who wants to hear about sun and beach while your in snow. I will focus on fish. Juro, you got that straight.. Anyway, I left the hotel room this morning at about 5:30 AM and had a coffee and waited to about 6:15 , at dawn. I just desided to go to the beach front at this resort. Nothing for about 15 minutes and then the birds started flying around and a flock started moving in my direction along the beach to my right. No wind, perfect for casting and put on a small yellow clouser. Hooked up to my first Bonefish ,if you can believe it, small about 10 inches but he put up a fight which made me think I had something bigger. Released him and then frantically cast again, only this time I hooked onto a small permit. A completely successful morning. Things quieted down after that and headed back around 8 am. This afternoon my sons and I will be going with a guide ,as I mentioned before ,for some deep sea fishing. By the way, we are staying at the comfort suites near the Atlantis Resort ( we are allowed to use the Atlantis facilities without the rediculous prices) in Nassau and if you ever get down you have to see this aquarium at the Atlantis. Makes the Boston Aquarium look like a fish tank. Really spectacular with just about every species. I will report tomorrow morning .

#14 ·
Thursday afternoon... We were picked up By Capt. Stephen Polle and taken out on his fishing boat with three fighting Chairs. Since this was really for my two boys he suggested to troll for Tuna and Dolphin with the big rods... Two hours later...no luck.. saw a large school of Bonito but that was it. Then he took us to a old wreck and all hell broke lose. My boys fished with spining rods and large plugs. I drifted my BL-5 9 wt. with small clousers..red and others yellow. My sons ( and I ) had a great time and I am sure it will be in their memories for a long time... This was a great combination family and fishing trip without the exclusive Andros bonefish trip which would not go over with My wife and 11 year old daughter and probably not the boys who were into water slides, etc. Anyway. we boated twenty fish and they don't release them here. We lost as many as we caught. I caught 5 good size Jacks which were ,to my surprise, great fighting fish... I probably should have had my 10 wt. The boys caught between them 8 baracuda, one about 50 inches long. The rest consisted of Jacks, Yellow tail and Albicore. Some big lemon Sharks took some of our fish and I , not using a wire leader had some cut offs fromm the baracuda . The kids almost got spooled by some of them and we had to cut off one of my son's fish which was a huge grouper with no way of getting it up on that tackle. All in all a great day and one for the memory bank. Did not go to beach this morning since I left my Rod tip in the Captains car and got it back moments ago. Will go out in the morning again. Today we will take an island tour. New Providance is about as big as the Vinyard. As we go, My main interest will be the shore line and beach access for tomorrow morning and I an quizzing every native I can find on good locations. That's about it for now.

#16 ·
Got out late today (6;30 AM) but caught one Permit over a foot long. Nothing the rest of the morning... But got some information about a bridge that is suppose to produce for early this evening and probably tomorrow morning before we head back to Boston. The thing is probably all big fish are off shore and the little ones inshore... not like big girl bar. But what a variety.

#17 ·
What? Back to Boston? You can't do it man! I've become dependent on your reports... i NEED thEm!

All kidding aside I wish you the best two outings before you return and I have read every word with white sand/blue water visuals in my minds eye and growing hope for my own journey there next year with my wife with each report you made.

Looking forward to your next one,
Juro

#18 ·
Two Permit in one week - now that's pretty darn' good! Bridges can be interesting places, especialy in the tropics, tarpon, big 'cuda and who knows what else.

#19 ·
Don't forget the permit were not big but I did not care. Anyway I am sending this from Winchester Ma. I amback and what else.. Freezing rain and cold. Back to reality. Got back a couple hours ago and back to work to pay for all this. I was a great vacation and Next time it's Andros with my two boys for a week of fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.