Fly Fishing Forum banner

You Rod Builders out there...

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nate Bailey 
#1 ·
Got any suggestions for step-by-step books on building a rod?

e.g. Rodbuilding for Dummies

#3 ·
There were some good books referenced, like one by Skip Morris, in an earlier thread. Search might work to find them. Smitty of the Rodbuilder's Workshop carries the book but when I went down there I found there was no substitute for wisdom and experience. I left with the blank, hardware and no book.

Working with Smitty, I am now ready to put the guides onto my 4-pc 10wt 9ft Sage VPS! Man I love the thing. I am constantly whipping that guideless rod with it's new handle in the yard.

Next I'll be wrapping the guides, finishing it - should be throwing a line by May!

Let's take Jim Whalen's lead with the RodRack http://flyfishingforum.com/expertise/rodrack and do our own rod building thing. The VFS site is done really nicely and the pics are awesome but I think our own experiences will speak volumes. I will start by posting my experiences shortly, got some pics to post, etc.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Checked out both references.

While I really want to build a rod b/c I know I'd enjoy it; I am reminded of how little time I already have.

So here's my follow up question.

Anyone know of anyone who builds custom rods other than Smitty...who is taking orders 1.5 years out? I can't wait that long; I'm way too addicted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.