Fly Fishing Forum banner

Struble U-15 reel seat question

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  stillwater 
#1 ·
I picked up a Struble U15 off of Ebay cheap,including the full wells grip.I was planning on using it on a 10ft 8wt blank,and when finished,matching it with a Redington AS 9/10 reel.I haven't used or seen this model before and when it showed up it was much thinner than I was expecting.It is rated as a small diameter saltwater seat,but is it meant for line weights up to an 8wt or higher?The reel fits but I was concerned on how strong this seat is.Will it handle a 9/10 weight reel or should I have bought a larger reel seat.I could always match the rod to a 7/8 reel if I had to.Has anyone used this model on an 8wt system?The ultra slim profile looks sweet and lowers the overall rod weight,but I'm a little uneasy about it's strength given it's small diameter.Does anyone know any manufacteres that use this seat on their rods?If so which models and how high in line weight?Any info would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Struble U-15 Reel Seat

Hi Tony,
The Struble U-15 is a very nice and strong reel seat. It is the same reel seat that Sage used on their SP model of fly rods. They use it on their heavier rods, starting from the 7 weights. My 8 weight XP has a thin, anodized aluminum reel seat too, and they are nice! It's fine!

Doug Wright (from Fish BC)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.