Fly Fishing Forum banner

New feature

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
I’ve been working on a little something for the rod rack. I see a fair amount of posts that ask, “what rod should I get?” or “what do you think about xxxxx rod?” I remember being the newbie going through the same process. The advice of cast as many rods as possible to determine what suits you is sound, but it is nice to get an idea of what you should be looking for.
Basically you can enter a manufacturer and a model number (ex. Sage rplxi), specify the line weight, length, number of pieces, etc…. The next step is kind of cool. You and others can comment on the product and give it a rating from 1-10. I had originally started to develop this as a custom rod database so that those who choose to wrap their own could share guide spacing etc. with others. The project has turned into a factory built and custom database but currently lacks the details for custom rods. It may seem redundant because we already have the gear discussion board but this will be centered around the product and not a thread.
check it out here
I’d like some feedback on this. Do you think this sort of feature would be of use? I’m ready to add reels and lines to the products that can be entered and reviewed. If this is something that members find useful I will develop it further and add search capabilities. It could be expanded further to include yaks, paddles, pfd’s, etc…. I see this as our own little consumer reports for the products we utilize in our sport.

This is not intended to replace the gear discussion board.

Spey casting folks, I wanted to accommodate you too and have included rods up to 16ft. I hope that’s long enough.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.