Fly Fishing Forum banner

fishing in the rain

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chachasimpson 
#1 ·
i've got a question... does anyone have any suggestions for fishing in the rain? will fish bite dry flys in the rain, or should i fish subsurface flies? i am wicked busy with school these days, and i need a little stress relief, so i want to go fishing this saturday. only problem is, it is supposed to rain all day. :(

#2 ·
Hatches do occur in the rain, and sometimes the action can be quite good. The duns take longer for their wings to dry before they can take off from the water, and this gives the trout a longer opportunity to take them. Also, duns that are being hit by rain tend to struggle a bit more on the surface in order to free themselves from the surface tension while their wings remain matted down with the additional water.

That being said, I won't fish dries in a downpour. That's a situation where I'll swing wet flies or streamers. Downpours tend to drown even the most bouyant dry fly.

#4 ·
When it is lightly raining I tend to fish cripples. Many times the mayflies tend to get smacked by a raindrop right as they are surfacing and they get stuck in the film. If you are having trouble seeing the flies use a larger more boyant fly as a lead up about a foot and a half above your fishing fly. When you see a swirl, sip, etc near the boyant fly lift your rod. This technique also will produce some rather large takes on the lead fly too so be ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.