Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pacific Northwest Claves coming up?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
Fred, et. al. -

I am trying to nail down dates for my annual pilgrimage to steelhead country and would love to coordinate dates to attend a get together if possible. The Spey clave is in May so it may not be in the cards this year (I gotta have fishing too!). The class in April might work despite many of my 'home waters' being shut down by then.

Are there other claves going on in February, March or April (spring native season) so I could attend while in the area?

Thanks in advance,

Juro

#2 ·
Hello Juro, I don't know of any other claves going on before the big one in May. However, the Sandy in May can be very good. Still plenty of winter fish around and some HOT summer fish. The Clackamas will also have early summer fish. Hope you can make it.
TL's,
Dave

#4 ·
Juro,

You come to Oregon whenever you can and I will declare a "Clave" for that date.

Understand that it may be only you, I, Fred and several bottles of the best scotch, but what the hell, you can't have dancing girls too! (Or can he Fred?)

Crusty

#5 ·
You know that sounds pretty damn good! Three anglers working the bank, 24 Spey rods (that's just Fred's collection) and the peat water is enough to get me out there.

I'm contemplating waiting until May... but then I read Sparky's link to the WSC notice on the Skagit and Sauk... decisions decisions...:confused:

#6 ·
May!?!

May?? MAY!??!

We are experincing a mid-season lull...the hatchery brats sure died off fast (oh...thats too bad :hehe: ) and the nates have not shown up in consistent numbers yet (we saw good December, early January returns but lately, even the wild fish have come hard to come by).

But do you want to miss what could possibly be the best winter steelhead in years?? :confused: ;)

I must admit though, that May is a much easier month to fish out here as there are less decisions.

Come late March and early April, there are over a dozen river systems that could produce fansastic fishing for big wild fish...can that happen in May???

Just say no to May!! :tsk_tsk: Eventhough I do turn 21 the 28th of that month. :smokin:

:)

#7 ·
Yes, you're right Ryan. My first priority goes to the big gnarly chromer buck that will burn my drag up in a puff of smoke as it charges down the river splitting it down the middle like Moses. :devil:

Maybe I'll get lucky and fly back in May TOO!

#8 ·
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.....

I'm a rookie spey fisher, my style is les then to be desired, and I'm off ever other cast, but Ii'd love to e involved. I have vacation in February, week of Feb 11-15 I do believe. Hhck, depending on where and when, I'd even provide y cat fo 3 lucky riders.

Hey, what's this clave in May and what is entailed in it??? I'd love to go to something like this. Is it an adult thing oonly, or are kids welcome? WWould be interested, is thee a webpage thtahas details???

#9 ·
How about a historical perspective..

The best month to hook steelhead here in southwest Washington has always been mid April- May. We used to have true spring steelhead down here not the late winter runs like up north. We had early summer fish that were HOTTT!!! Definetly hotter than the Babine fish I got into last fall.

Anyway On the Sandy river May is a great time there are summer runs , winter runs, spring chinook. But anyway the Spey Clave is not about fishing it's about spey casting. hardly anyone fished at this event last year but there is fishing avaliable with a reasonable chance to catch a fresh steelhead.
This even is open to anyone and everyone, no age size or color limit. If it follows the pattern from last year (which I hope it does) it will be very informal. People can feel free to do pretty much what they want when they want. I think Fred would agree that that is part of what made it so much fun. it was just people hanging around, casting and BSing.

#10 ·
Juro,

You KNOW where I'll be in March/April! I'm rather more interested in fishing than "claving" - but what the hell a few drinks and a good Cuban after a day of running around in the jet-raft might be acceptable. If nothing else you may have to settle for a mini-clave on the Skagit - bummer!

#11 ·
I have a suspicion that I will be fishing the same two rivers as Tyler come March and April. Of course it is illegal for me to have Cubans, but I do have an interesting single malt selection I am always happy to share.

st

#12 ·
Juro,

I'm thinking of taking a travel day here soon and hitting the Skagit/Sauk. I'm not counting on getting up "late" in the season. Per the Portland area rivers. The Sandy can fish fanastic in May. We start seeing mercury bright summer fish. Let me know your plans, I can also make my raft (like Brian's) available if I'm out of town. You know your way around well enough to know the Kalama, EFL, Washougal, and the coastal rivers are close enough for day trips. Depending on the flows this might be a banner year for springers on the coast (or the Sandy for that matter). Either way let us know I'd love to get more video of you whoopin with a fish cart wheeling a hundred yards away. The only thing missing was the screaming drag (damn silent drags, lol)

Brian, wasn't it May when we took the million mile float? Remember that big chromer, ten million suckers, and the the cult meeting on the Sandy? Kush, isn't the Vedder FF only in May? That is if it isn't blown. I'll have room if you don't mind a construction zone.

andre

#13 ·
Ah yes - the Sandy is quite a river! I can still see that hugh chrome summer steelie parting the Sea of Suckers that covered a bright sunlit tailout. It was a great day and a memorable float.

Juro- Claves will Spring up spontaneously in March and April. Most will be entitled the "My Rivers's OPEN" Clave for those of us that are so lucky to have home rivers that are deemed healthy enuf to support a C&R season. :smokin:

I even heard a rumor that the Skykomish was being considered for the C&R March/April fishery. This would fall under the "Emergency Opening" class as it's scheduled to close to all fishing on Feb 28. :rolleyes:

If I were a betting man, I'd choose late February as you'll have ALL the rivers open with the best chance for a big wild fish. Late March/April is a gamble, but I'm sure there will be some fishing available.

DS

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. At this point I am targeting the last week in Feb to stay under the deadlines in what appears to be a good early return year.

I hope to put as many faces to names as possible while in town and can't wait to be swingin' a big gnarly fly in the faces of native steelhead in glacial rivers again!

#16 · (Edited)
Juro, if it has to be March, think "Rogue."

Winter run steelhead fishing doesn't really kick into high gear here until Feb through Mid April so you have another large 'window of opportunity.' Right after the steelhead run begins to petter out the spring salmon run is kicking into high gear.

From the Medford airport to the first very good fishing water is about 15-18 minutes slow drive out of the parking lot. It will take you longer to do the rental car paperwork than to drive to the river.

If the plane is landing from the north, the 'flapps are down' and you're at the end of 'final approach' when you cross over Sewie, Highbanks, Willows or lower Touvelle Park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.