Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Shore 10/5 AM PM

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Doc Duprey 
#1 ·
Out this morning to the usual haunts for a quick spin to see if there was any bird activity. None seen, took a few casts, but decided to head to work and try and catch the afternoon bite...

Back out of Beverly this afternoon after work and can finally say that Striped Bass do in fact inhabit the waters! Lots of small (22" and less) bass with cormorants and birds and bait. All on top up until and continuing after when I left around 6. Best part was trolling a popper on a sinking line in between spots. I got the length just right so it kinda popped and dove like a tuna plug. It was only about 20 ft back from the kayak and because of this, I could hear the bass swipe at it first. I mean absolutely try and crush it, but because they were so small, rarely did they get it the first time. I would stop paddling, pop it once or twice, and fish on. Lots of fun, and I finally got another bass this season, a feat that seemed near impossible with my ankle nearly a month ago!

BBD,
Thanks again for the offer to head out in your boat...what a cool looking boat it is! Nice to see you on the water.

NIck

#3 ·
Friday

Will be heading out Friday if someone would like to go please post and pm.
Planning on going out at about 7:00am. This is likely to be the last weekend of the season for me.
And this morning birds were going crazy on the Beverly front. Hope it's warmer Friday.
BBD

#6 ·
Didn't know what it was...couldn't see really in the yak, silversides sound right though. Didn't really matter, cause as soon as the fly hit the water, it found a fish's mouth.

#9 ·
juro said:
Sounds good! Bettter put "North Showah" in the list of "end game" options.
Better leave the two hander at home...they were at your feet and only a foot long! Although, i hear reports of some bigger schools starting to rear their big mouths!

#10 ·
That's twinkie abuse! ;)

The new Atlantis All-Around (9/10wt AFTMA, 11ft) still breaks the century mark with ease when casting but you get your butt kicked by a 22" schoolie... for those who want to get their butt kicked by a 22" schoolie :lildevl:

So I can have my cake and eat it too :smokin:

Hope you are healing well,
Juro

#11 ·
Well that's a nice compromise for those of us (me) who seem to scare all the big fish away! Ankles doing well, PT has got me back on me feet swiftly. Hope to see you up here sometime!

#12 ·
Rods for schoolie abuse...

:cool: Hmmm....."you get your butt kicked by a 22" schoolie... for those who want to get their butt kicked by a 22" schoolie"...the way my season's been going this year, even that may be too much rod.

Still...any chance that there may be a prototype headed down Joisey way? Would certainly be interested in giving it a try.

Best regards,

-Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.