Fly Fishing Forum banner

Black and Blue Sqrimp

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Philster 
#1 ·
Here is my BIG fly. It was inspired by Jack Cook's prawn style, but tied my style, which is usually faster, and with cheaper materials than the patterns that inspired me.:biggrin: I also tie it in Orange. Between the two colors, I'm covered. This particular fly has drawn blood :smokin:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey all. Sqrimp is just a combination of "squid" and "shrimp", cuz it looks like both to me. Yes it is tied on a waddington and the loop is tied with Fireline or other superbraid type line.

As to the free swinging hook, I haven't had any tangling problems, and this fly was one for one in hookup to landing ratio this past "winter" season. Rough winter out here by our standards. Last year it was three for four chances, but one of the fish did take it deep. Don't know if it was because of the trailing hook configuration, or the fact that that's a size 4 Owner SSW hook. Four fish landed on a particular fly is not a solid proving ground :mad:

#7 ·
One of the shops out west uses some coated wire (don't know the brand) for connecting the trailer hooks. I like it because it's stiff enough that it holds the hook in position even in soft water. It's also coated with braided material so it doesn't line the fish. If I can get some I'll post the brand.

I'm actually looking to tie some muddlers on waddingtons and that wire. Should be good as I find long shank hooks for large muddlers are a bit dangerous on the fish.

-Chris

#8 ·
cool fly, looks all sorts of wiggly. the wire for connections is made by a company called american fishing wire for fishing or beadalon for making jewelry. the 49 strand is the most supple and is .018 diameter with a 26# breaking strength. i have used it for tandem musky flies and it works well. the beadalon is available at craft/jewelry stores and is not suprisingly a little cheaper than the fly shop stuff.

#9 ·
Pattern for Sqrimp
prepare waddington with trailer hook, or can be tied on a tube.
tie in black Estaz, and form a ball, tie off. tail materials will be flared by this ball
tie in sparse amount of black Llama hair, with sparse ostrich hearl laid over.
tie in blue died grizzly hackle on either side
tie in and wrap blue died guinea as a collar
tie in Golden pheasant tippet as per General Practitioner
This sounds like alot, but it's extremely quick work as it is all easily worked with materials and a straightforward application of them
Tie in black estaz again and wrap towards eye.
wrap a blue and a black marabou feather to collar fly and you are done.

I also tie in orange, and you could of course do purple

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Obviously you can tie them as long as you wish, but my usual target length is about 6". For that length, I try to keep the hook about 4 to 4.5 inches behind the hook eye. This makes a very nice general prawn pattern on a standard hook or tube or waddington without a long trailer if you limit the tail section to 1 to 1.5 inches and make it a little sparser . The orange one actually has the hook at about 5 inches back. That combined with the lead eyes is why that one hasn't been fished :biggrin: With a fly that big under the right conditions, I don't feel a need to dredge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.