Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon Flies - Dubbing Loop

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  9wt 
#1 ·
When I head down to Belize I want to have some tarpon patterns. I had the Black Death recommended and looked at how to tie one and saw that a dubbing loop was required. Somehow, I've managed to be tying for about a decade now and never needed a dubbing loop.

Does anyone either have a place I can get some advice on doing a dubbing loop or some non-dubbing loop tarpon patterns that I can tie up?

When you are tying #16 bead head PT's, you don't really need the kind of skill you need for those big ole' tarpon flies, as it turns out.

Bjorn

#3 ·
Gary Borger's book on nymphing has a good description of dubbing on a loop, it's really an essential skill , I use it a lot for trout flies and some striper flies also.
Jon

#6 ·
Luckily I worked at a flyshop at the time, but like so many items definitely can be cheaper with a little intuition... let's see the design, sounds interesting. Do you use a pyramid or a bank sinker?

I would opt for spring steel over the paper clip but I get the idea. How did you center and embed?

thanks in advance

#7 ·
Gunner -

So in thinking this through, I would use an EGG sinker which has a center axis thru hole.

For the spring steel tongs, a G string in an electric guitar gauge would likely be sufficient, bent over to clasp the dubbing loop.

On the bottom, something grippable with the fingertips to spin which might even secure the opposite ends of the guitar string - likely a knurled threaded fastener in the hardware store's fastener drawers.

Or they are going for a few dollars on line. Which begs the question... what's my time worth?

#8 ·
This is a very simple dubbing spinner that I've had since the 70's, I think it was made by Matarelli, anyway it works and could easily be copied.
Jon

#9 ·
For years I've always used a straightened out paper clip.
Leave the small loop as is and straighten the rest so it makes a handle in line with the axis of the loop - looks like a stretched question mark.
This isn't spun like the commercial ones but "twiddled" between the fingers. It works well for me and though I keep losing them I can make another one for free in about 30 secs.

Michael.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.