Fly Fishing Forum banner

Patagonia Steelhead

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  trutta 
#1 ·
Luis's article on Santa Cruz steelhead is fantastic. We need an Argentinian 'clave next March-April. Imagine beefy trout
with more horseppower than PNW steelhead ! Boggles the mind ...I'm working on my spanish, starting now ....

Thanks Luis

Jay C.

#2 ·
I was in Chilean Patagonia for 3 weeks this spring just as their fishing season was winding down. I met a couple guides and flew back sitting next to Jim Teeny. I learned a bunch about that fishery and everyone down there seemed to be in agreement that the sea-run Browns were the main thing rather than the rainbows. Those sea-run browns get HUGE! A friend has sent me some pictures from this season and they are getting brownies over 20# all the time.

And I thought the browns I get in NZ each year were big...

cheers,

-tony

#3 ·
>I learned a bunch about that fishery and everyone
>down there seemed to be in agreement that the sea-run
>Browns were the main thing rather than the rainbows.
>Those sea-run browns get HUGE! A friend has sent me
>some pictures from this season and they are getting
>brownies over 20# all the time.

Hi Tony:
Without a doubt fishing Patgonia is a kick (I was there last november) and not to take anything away from the sea-run brown experience, but I met a lot of guys down there that get terribly excited about fishing for chinooks (the big fish sindrome) That's fine and dandy but you can catch those even in the great lakes. Same with 10 to 20 pound browns on great lake tributaries. Personally, the experience is not just the fish but the surrounding. Without a doubt the Rio Grande and the Rio Gallegos are nice places but fishing in the Andes holds my heart more than any huge sea run brown in TDF or even a Steelhead of Rio Santa Cruz ever will. Some places in BC, the Gaspe or Cape Breton would also come first on my list.
Anyway, just my thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.