Fly Fishing Forum banner

hook choice

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Forgive the naivete, but I'm not from around here. Our usual stripers in the Chesapeake are on small bait and are small themselves. I'm coming to the Cape in a couple of weeks with a large contingent of my buddies--fly anglers and freshwater guides all--and we're in dilemma over hook choice for the standard flies. Since we're coming for an intense four-day run, we're ready to spend more than the usual amount of energy and money on our flies, so here's my question: what's the premium and the regular hook--brand, model, and size--for the standard flies you all throw?

#4 ·
...There are a few premium samples out there...Tiemco and Varivas to name two...Mustad has a winner that you might want to consider as an alternative: Mustad Signature Tarpon C68S SS 3/0 25 count for $5.
The shape is less likely to foul, the temper is less likely to fracture when debarbing, and it's plenty strong for anything you're likely to hook into...I LIKE THEM ALOT! ...my .02

#5 ·
I have heard the stories about Mustad's breaking/ bending but never experienced it and I used to use them exclusively based on their affordability.

Last year I was fortunate enough to get my hands on some Daichi Stainless hooks, #2 & 2/0, chemically sharpened, worth every penny.

Instead of hook type, I would focus on fly type dependant on where you all are planning to fish. I strongly suggest you email Striblue and see what he would recommend out of the encyclopedia of patterns he has posted.

Based on when you come & where you plan to fish, I would be prepared with squid, silversides, sand eels (actually sand lances for anyone who wants to argue), some big baitfish patterns and poppers.

Don't forget to bring intermediate & sinkling lines as well as some wire or heavy mono in case wherever you guys wind up is infested with blues. ONly fun when they're not biting thru your leader.

It may not hurt to ask for some informal guides as well. Many people on this board are more than happy to take visitors out.
If you guys don't have specific areas planned that you've fished before, let us know & we'll help you out.

Good luck,
Roop

#6 ·
I have had some problems with the daichi #2 hooks breaking at the bend. I wonder if I am creating a stress point when debarbing. Anyone else notice that the barbs on the higher end hooks tend to break off instead of bending? I like the fact that the barb breaks off, but is that same brittleness working against me? Could be I'm just banging the flys off rocks on the cast. I like the small daichi hooks and continue to use them even though they fail here and there.
Favorite hook is the EagleClaw 254SS in a 1/0, love that short shank.

#7 ·
I am with Penguin on this one... I use the Gamagatsu as a premium hook and the Mustard as the standard. But I have the Varivas now as well as the Mustard Signature... I will have used the Verivas this season, so can not report on them but they are SHARP and have a large hook gap.. I think they will be perfect. The mustard Signature is also much sharper and appears better made that the standard Mustard.. I will use that as well. I have also a number of Flys on the Trey Combs (Gamagatsu).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.