Fly Fishing Forum banner

Monomoy Island Ferry says good bye to a Great friend

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  boatdrinks 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

With a heavy heart, I am writing to tell you, that Capt. Tom Newton passed away unexpectedly Saturday Dec 4th at the age of 62. Tom ran the black Rip Ryder 3 from 1999 to 2005.
Tom was not only a great Capt. but a great political ally for all of us, when it came to protecting the parking on the causeway and access to the refuge, by using his experience as a member of the board of selectmen in Eastham. Though he never came right out and told me, I know he made last minute calls to the head of the board in Chatham on different occasions to make sure cooler heads prevailed on the parking issues.

Capt. Tom was soon to be a first time grandpa.

Though I hadn't seen him since the summer, I was blessed the Thursday before to run into him at the store and share one last hand shake and a good laugh.

Capt Tom's obituary can be found at www.capecodonline.com

Capt Keith

#4 ·
To me in many ways Tom was like a helicopter pilot appearing on the horizon... OK so we weren't doing jungle combat just flats fishing but sometimes Monomoy can be a remote excursion involving slogging over desolate miles of peat and sand to engage in a strategic battle of wits with big cow bass in skinny water, sucking every last drop out of the spring water bottle and savoring an energy bar like it was a 5 star dinner. Drained at the end of the day with the stripping basket providing a hard pillow, someone would say "here comes the Rip Ryder" and the first thing you'd see after the bow wake is Tom's smile. Truly one of the "good guys" that made the experience what it was.

He will be missed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.