Fly Fishing Forum banner

new waterproof cameras

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Redfisher 
#1 ·
Lots of new waterproof cameras on the market now I noticed. Why? because my favorite little digital companion (Canon D1000) fell from my shirt pocket off Tom's boat and I decided a dead camera wasn't worth a dive over the gunwhale so I am in the market (again).

Pentax beat the rush (viewfinder not crisp, pic qual low). Canon has a new one (known for great image quality but chunky and first model year). Olympus has two (indestructible but reviews complain about pic qual). Fuji has one (smallest). Panasonic, Ricoh also have models.

Or I will get a camera I know takes killer pics and try harder to keep it dry :)

More on this as I go thru the process...

#2 ·
I bought an olympus 1030SW a year ago. It's an adaquate point and shoot snap shot camera. I haven't taken the time to get to know it but I don't like not having a veiwfinder and my finger frequently gets into the pic with the lens location up in the corner. If I had it to do over I would have taken advantage of super deals on the 1030"s predecessor and bought and slr for photographs.

#6 ·
While I had the Canon Powershot SD1000 I have to say I loved it. It took great shots and good video and fit in any pocket which means it came along whether I was at a live music venue, family outing or a floodtide on a flat.

When I used the housing, it was baggage, and I never used it except when snorkeling. Even the bulk of the new Canon D10, even though I know Canon img quality will be excellent, is going to take some thinking over since reviewers complain it does not fit into pockets.

If a camera is going to be a serious neck ornament for me, I am going to want a big payback for the trouble - like polarized HD video capability with dive depths to 300ft and 15 optical zoom with good stills (due to lens rather than mp ratings).

like this soda-can sized HD camcorder w/ excellent reviews:

which has this accessory:

... which to me is worth carrying around (but the combination would run about $1400 and change :Eyecrazy:

Another very attractive option is the tiny Fujifilm waterproof which goes for less than $150

and has all the necessary functions for a vest / chestpack / pocket camera for fishermen. This camera has scored good image quality reviews, which to me is the main reason I want a camera (high quality images and/or video). I would not be happy if my untrained eye could see a difference from my last point-and-shoot, the Canon Sureshot SD1000.

#8 ·
Juro

Did you ever reach a decision on a new camera?

I am in the investigation phase of selecting a new camera and seem to have the same criteria as you started with, fit in pocket, waterproof and take good photos.I have looked at the cameras you mentioned and am also concerned by the comments about poor picture quality.

However in reading some of the user reviews many people seem more that satisfied with picture quality of the Olympus Tough 8000. I don't need SLR quality but I do want reasonable sharpness and good color. My current camera is a Kodak Z740 (5 megapixels) and I'm very satisfied with the photos it takes.

Casio has come out with a new waterpoof cell phone, the Exilim 721, which includes a 5 mega pixel camera. The reviews I read say the camera takes great pictures but the phone part is just average and its expensive. The camera has about 15 modes, image stabelization, a flash, etc.

Ease of carrying is very important since I've found that if I have to carry it
separately I leave it home. May have to settle for something small that's not waterproof.

Dan

#9 ·
Hi Dan -

I've decided to buy two cameras this time, one now (to capture daughters birthday + upcoming holidays) and the other before I head to bonefish country this winter (e.g. after Christmas :)) I just can't get what I want in one because I want to get into advanced photography while needing a companion in my pocket when on the water.

With the holidays coming up I bought a reasonably priced Canon SX200 IS which offers 12x Optical zoom, wide format, image stabilization, macro and super macro, aperture / shutter priority modes (fuzzy background sharp foreground or blurry water sharp still objects), HD video, etc - and uses the SD cards I already have from my recently deceased Canon SD1000. It's bulkier than my last one but still fits in the pocket and has all the high-end features of a 'pro' camera. I will learn to use advanced features with this camera, but it will not go near the water.

For the waterproof flyfishing camera, the front runner is the Fujifilm WP. I've had Fuji cameras before and they are known for great picture quality. The display was great, the case tiny and ergonomically fit to the hand. It's lightweight and easy to handle with a fish in one hand. 3x optical zoom, 10 mpx / video (avi). SD card (which I have a bunch of).

Optional deep diving case for serious underwater use otherwise waterproof as is to 10 feet.

#12 ·
Juro

Thanks for the update. It looks like I'll probably keep my Kodak for indoor shooting and buy a waterproof camera for the boat. it's a shame that no one makes a waterproof camera that takes great pictures everywhere. But I guess in time someone will and then we can upgrade!!!

Fishhawk

That is a great site. Particularly liked the comparison of realworld photos taken with the tested cameras. That was just what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Dan

#13 · (Edited)
For anyone interested in waterproof cameras Casio has just announced it's new entry into that market.

Starting in December they are scheduled to begin shipping the Exilim EX- G1. It is a 12 megapixel camera with a 3x optcal zoom. Waterproof to 10'. Shockproof from 7' or less fall. No reports yet on performance but it looks like it will be worth a look once it is in the stores.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.