Fly Fishing Forum banner

Waterproof camera

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattb 
#1 ·
After 19 years my Canon AE-1 died.
I'm looking for a 35mm (waterproof) camera to replace it. I'd like it to be small so I can put it in a shirt pocket.Something that can be used at home or on the water.
Any suggestion would be a help.
Thanks
John

#3 ·
This is the one I use... thanks to Nick Svencer's recommendation at the BoneClave. I was using a throw away for all those pictures because I had just burned up a 250.00 camera in the salt water a few days before...

It won't fit in my short pocket but it solves the problem of ruining expensive cameras in the places I need to take photos. Great results too. The information is on the <!--http--><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/camcambin/cameras/35mm/compact/ssa1.html" target="_blank">homepage</a><!--url-->

#5 ·
It always gives me a little joy to come home and wash the salt off my camera after the rods, reels, and gear are done. Just something about it! The underwater shots, although I should take more, are fun too. Good to 17 feet.

I agree though, a little bigger than I would like but the trade offs are favorable. I am going to switch the neon red strap they give you for something a little more subtle for the flats.

#7 ·
My favorite is the Nikon Action Touch. This is a terrific camera and I am always on the lookout for them. They are waterproof, bombproof and the pictures are sharp. The only hitch is that they haven't been made for 5+ years. Don't be discouraged. These babys last and I run into them every now and then( about$250.). If you see one buy it. If you don't like it e-mail me and one of my friends will buy it from you. This camera is almost a cult item.
While you search the world over for the Action Touch, get a Pentax Weathermatic. They are water resistand and take very good pictures as well. Eddie

#8 ·
A friend of mine has the Canon mentioned above and he loves it, the only problem is that the film counter is broken, which is supposedly a fairly common occurence but not a huge deal

I just bought a minolta weathermatic dual 35 which is about the same price as the Canon, but has both a 35mm and a 57mm lens that you can manually switch between. I wanted to go with a zoom, but waterproof zooms were prohibitively expensive, so this was the next best thing. I haven't tested the camera yet, but i'll post after the weekend with a report

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.