Fly Fishing Forum banner

WELL???

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  artb 
#1 ·
Dyin' for a report... how was Rhody?

#3 ·
Well,

Nate Smith was a last minute addition to our group which made us a foursome. We hit West Wall first; as we were walking out to the jetty a few locals were leaving shaking their heads. No birds, no bait , but we casted for an hour anyway. We worked are way west showing Nate all the spots as he had never fished this area before. Deep Hole, Charlestown, Quanney, Weakapaug & Napatree. Oh did I mention that although it was 75 degrees & sunny here in the Greater Boston area; it was 50 degrees foggy & drizzely with intermitent down-pours in RI? The lack of bait & not seeing any signs what-so-ever of birds working was quite remarkable. It was cold & wet, but we had a lot of laughs. The best fish we got into were the $0.99 Filet-O-Fish sandiches at MacDonalds. That's why they call it fishing not catching! GregO.

#4 ·
Sounds like it was good to get out with the gang though - I had a pleasant 2 hours of practicing casting on Saturday on White's Pond with Alan Pullman but other than that I was banging nails and doing the spring honey-do's in preparation for our hosting of Easter dinner this year. I would've rather been running the spots with you guys anyday.

Most folks I've talked to have only found holdovers, so it's probably still a bit early. The apple trees are beginning to bloom but it's the cherry trees that count.

Next weekend might have some brief sneak-out potential on Sat but Sun is locked up... then the following weekend is MINE!!!

Bring on the season... I am ready!

Thanks for the *fishing* report,
Juro

#5 ·
We fished hard through the rain. Saw a huge seal off of Napetree beach. Big thing for me: I casted my new St.Croix with new SA II first time. Within 20 mins I was in love with this setup!!! Nice to have some good gear. St. Croix makes a good rod in there Ultra Legend. Also, found out my Big Yakkers fly pretty good. I can see why a 2 hander might work too with those big flies. Just great to be out with the guys, we had some great laughs too! Who needs fish?
All in all, worked out the bugs for our outing in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!

TerryW

#6 ·
I didn't make the trip to Rhody due to domestic responsibilites
but I did get out Sat night -West Island zippo
Mattapoisett river tons of herring nothing chasing them except for cormorantes. Sunday started at Isabella point to the clammers beach to the oyster Co.- nothing - South Cape more of the same. Ran into the
Estey Bros. who had just finished the Death March They had the same luck that I did. Can't believe South Cape isn't loaded with fish by now . If it would only stay warm for a few days in a row to warm the water a bit more.

#7 ·
I snuck down to the cape on Sunday AM early. Thought I'd try some of the upper Buz-Bay spots and although there were no fish to interrupt my morning I did try wading two spots that were new ones (for me).

I started at the Back River in Pocassett. Began in back of the fish house and worked my way down to the mouth. An excellent wading estuary, nice moving water, enough spots where you could backcast. If it doesn't get too busy during the summer I can see it would be a nice first-light, last-light spot. I'll be back there for sure.

The other spot was the flats below the RR bridge at Mako's in Wareham down to the Mass Maritime. Looks like a nice spot but does anyone have any experience with this area? Do these flats hold bait or is there not enough structure to make them productive?

Oh, what we'd all do for 3 - 4 days of warm weather to jump start things....

#8 ·
Thanks for the report Bob - that's an incredible photo... which reminds me of an idea I have been sitting on (because I have nothing to do
)

What do you think of a member photo calendar? I'll post a separate message in the main thread because images from the world over would be the coolest IMHO.

I agree, a few warm days and >BANG< the shoreline should be ablaze!

G
#9 ·
Bob,

Back River is an excellent spot. I've fished it mostly at night. The bridges and the immediate surroundings tend to hold the most fish, but they make for a difficult wade. Mid tide to low slack has been the best. I've tried the area you're speaking of near Mako's. Not much luck. Deep water is too far off and bait holding structure too scarce for large schools of bass to move in. I'm not saying it's devoid of fish. I have caught there during sand eel days.

I've found the area just up river of Mako's, near the Electric Ave. beach is much better. All the bait from Buttermilk and Little Bay ends up funneling down to that spot. I caught my first 35+ inch fish on the fly rod here.

Another decent spot to try when in this area is Old Silver Beach (about six miles south on Rt. 28). The estuine river behind the beach is silly fun when the school bass are after silver sides on an outgoing. The beach itself fishes well before Memorial and after Labor Day. Larger fish do make it in there on occasion and can even be caught at night on the fly..... even during peak tanning oil season.

al

G
#10 ·
Gosh, those fillets were tasty. It was so nice to see Nate hook up on his first cast at Quonny and to console Greg as he was cut off - twice!

A few things for which I am thankful: My casting proved non-lethal, we got to see a bait guy nearly hook a sea gull, and the RI State trooper just nodded and said, "OK. Whatever."

#11 ·
Guys, sorry, but I am in the midle of moving, but I still know where there is some school bass. You guys go too far south. There is quite a few school bass to about 24 ' in the Seekonk river from Bold Point to Omega Pond. In the rain I know of a couple of dozen fish being taken. Friday and Saturday. Send me e-mail I will give you what I know. Narrow river should be one of the first places with decent size fish, or near Point Judith Light. The worm hatch should be starting sone in the salt ponds if we get some sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.