My midge swap fly.

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
This is my midge swap fly.

Hook: TMC 200RBL, #20
Thread: Olive 8/0
Body: Olive goose biot
Thorax: Peacock herl

Wrap a base coat of thread stopping partially down bend of hook. Pull a biot from the strip of feathers (don't cut it) and tie it in with the dimple on the base of the feather towards the eye of the hook. Wrap the biot forward and tie off. Tie in a piece of peacock herl, wrap 3-5 turns then tie off.

If you reverse the direction of the dimple on the biot you will get a smooth body, rather than the ribbed look.

Or a whole batch of them

See less See more
#6 ·
Snowshoe hair is one of my favorite materials. I tie it under a softhackle to give a bubble when it is under water or with a false cast and you have a floating fly. The grey underfur works great as a post for parachute BWO and without the hackle you get an emerging BWO that sits right in the film. I still like antron on midges for the touch of sparkle.

#15 ·
Sean, If you fish any of the tailwaters out west you can get by with size 20 flies but you will often get outfished 10 to one by the guy fishing 24 and 26 stuff. I experienced it on the green and it is especially true on the san juan where the river is a soup of micro midge larva. Big fish get bigger eating that tiny stuff all day long.

#16 ·
Sean,

First I appologize for not looking at your flys before I posted mine. When I scanned all the flys I realized that your version of this fly looks much better than mine. I should examine the flys more carefully before I start posting.

I have one river where small flys are the rule. Lots of fish, clear water, and heavy fishing pressure lead to using small flys unless one likes seeing the fish refuse flys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.