Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bay Anchovies

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Are back and being pounded. If you are needing a bass or Albie fix from shore give me a shout.

Phil

#3 ·
Bay Anchovy patterns in tan and white. I use Unique hair in tan over smoke with a little gold flash. Run a strip of silver flash from the eyes back. Tie clouser style also. Deceivers in white and tan. Tie in various sizes one #1 hooks. Not sure what stage they are in size wise at Montauk. Tie in sizes from one to three inches. Epoxies work well too.

Phil

#4 ·
Phil...fished RI yesterday.....anchovies were in for about 2 hrs and the place exploded....then dead as bait went offshore. I believe I hooked and lost (line broke one inch below loop) an albie........got the hit and in 10 seconds I was 1/2 way into my backing.........of course it could have been a bonefish :hihi:

Ron

#5 ·
Paxton said:
Phil...fished RI yesterday.....anchovies were in for about 2 hrs and the place exploded....then dead as bait went offshore. I believe I hooked and lost (line broke one inch below loop) an albie........got the hit and in 10 seconds I was 1/2 way into my backing.........of course it could have been a bonefish :hihi:

Ron
Glad to see you made it down. You did better than most. I was in the boat cruising the spot you were fishing I think. I thought that was a bionic hand but maybe I was just hoping it was you. It's been a little slow onshore since the blow but there is a LOT of activity 200 to 300 yards out. Cold bust open any moment. I'll call you if it does.

Phil

#6 ·
Jim Miller & I fished Watch Hill & Fishers (boat) yesterday. Clouds of Anchovies; everything with fins chasing them. Bass, Blues and Albies: often mixes..sometimes all three.
At one point we had a momentary window, cast to the same pod, and had two Albies on within 1 sec of each-other. Both fish peeled off in the same direction , and with 200+ feet of backing out they were separated by perhaps 40' after running under a nearby boat. At the time we were in 2-3 ft short period seas and 15+ kt South-wester. The snottier it got the better the fish ate. One Albie turned out to be real False: after a running 150' it turned the game into a slug-fest with a 12# Bluefish.

There are a lot of fish down there right now.

#8 ·
I saw our good friend Paxton on the beach a yesterday. He looked very content in his waders but reported that the fish were not co-operating. Good to see you Ron. Come down during mid week and I'll join you or you can join me on the boat for some albie hunting. Funny thing I'm hearing about other places along the coast having a shortage of good bass fishing during daylight hours. I'm not seeing the numbers we saw last year at this time. Tons of false albacore. Were are all jumbo schoolies we saw this spring???????

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.