Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Shrimp

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 · (Edited)
Just fooling around..trying one with all natural material...except the epoxy..... Hook #1 Varivas short shank...... Mouth- Badger hair, Silver fox hair... Antenae- Two sprigs of moose main.....Eyes- 20 pound mono burnt, black magic marker, dipped in epoxy.....Body- tan white elk hair spun then clipped into body shape. Then palmered Badger hackle for legs and trimmed..cut on top trimmed on bottom...... Badger feather on back and epoxied over... Don't know if it will work...just fooling around.

#4 ·
John,

Good job !

I am tying new fresh water shrimp patterns this winter for our great lakes steelhead and trout fishing. This matches up to a color scheme that would be useful on our waters, but of course in much smaller sizes.

Hint you may want to try some krystal flash (green & tan colors) for the antennae and shell back. Thats what I am prototyping now. White ostrich for the body also.

I am trying to achieve a translucence image.

Also black bead eyes to flip it over.

Bath tube sink and stripping tests though are an open item. Need to do that when the wife and sons leave the house if you know what I mean.

:D

#5 ·
Thanks Steve, but I am sure yours are just as comparable.... Hal.. I did not want flash in this fly although it makes sence.. I was experimenting just will all natural fibers...but the working model will have flash probably. This one is just under an inch long but smaller ones can be made with the same material, I would just not make the body of spun deer hair..Thanks Guys.

#7 ·
Looks just like the ones that are always nipping at my legs in Chatham - although you might want to downsize for that! :D

One thought John - if you could make the carapace of the shrimp totally clear I think this would be a dead ringer for the real deal.

I have consulted Jim Bender and am working on my own patterns for the flats this summer. Need to improve my epoxy skills though.

Nice work, D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.