Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bird's nest

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
This is a popular nymph pattern, especially in California and Nevada. It doesn't represent anything in particular, but suggests many things in general.

Hook: Size 8-18 (here, a size 10)
Thread: 6/0, rust
Tail: Mallard flank
Rib: Fine copper wire
Abdomen: Australian possum or other to suit (here, synthetic ginger)
Legs: Same as tail, tied full
Thorax: Same as abdomen

This pattern can also be fished effectively in brown and black.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dave, I use the mallard because it's what Kauffman's recipe calls for. I'm trying to stick to his materials as much as possible as I work my way through his demonstration patterns.

What do you use in lieu of the mallard? Inquiring tiers would like to know. :p

Thanks.

#4 ·
Mark,

I use mallard too. The only variation is that I split the tail (stonefly style) and don't include a wing when I tie the pattern. I simply use mallard for legs/gills on each side of the fly.

Rather than tie in a wing, I dub with hare-tron and pick it out the entire body. I like the way it sparkles and traps bubbles underwater. Then if there's a caddis hatch you can clip off the tail and you have a pretty good looking pupae. I suppose this generic pattern could imitate just about anything a trout eats.

This conversation as got me thinking about digging the studs out and hitting the deerfield tomorrow :devil:

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.