Fly Fishing Forum banner

It's a bird... it's a plane... it's a...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 · (Edited)
... stripping basket?!?

Saw this recently in one of the saltwater fly fishing mags; can't remember which one exactly. This is a collapsable ("spring-loaded") laundry hamper that very effectively doubles as a stripping basket for use when bow casting from a boat; thought anyone that hadn't seen the article would appreciate being told about this, since actual products made for this purpose are often $80+, and this one cost me $8 at Target. Hey, it might be a little gaudy, but for $8, I couldn't care less!
To "secure" this on the boat deck, head out to a home improvement center and pick up a couple of feet of 1/2" ID flexible tubing and a 1/2" barbed connector, and then to the tackle shop for some sinkers (again, look for sinkers in the 1/2" size range). Fill the tubing with the sinkers, connect both ends, drop it in the bottom of the basket and fish. Total cost is around $12-$15, and it all folds up and stores easily. Dimensions...
Height of expanded basket: 24"
Diameter: 18"

Basket folded...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Very Nice, and stylish too!, Seriously, I gotta do it! I hate wearing the basket around my waist in the boat, and the colapsable feature really got me hooked. Thanks for the heads up! Finally, this will be the first item for flyfishin in my boat which cost less than $40.;)

#9 ·
striblue said:
I love it...gaudy? no way.. love the colors... instead of those drab grey plastic baskets... why not have one smaller for wading....HHHHMMMM. another Invention?????
I forgot to mention, Target also carries a smaller folding basket that's square; it was right next the bigger one, but I didn't look at it very closely. I think the basic idea is that the four sides fold down flat against the bottom piece. I don't know what the dimensions are, though. If I get out to Target today I'll have a look at it and report back. I need a new stripping basket, tired of the old tupperware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.