Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fridays JFBasser 2 hand canal day striper clave kickoff

4K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  vtloon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hows that for a title ? Meet at the public fishing pier off the road to Scusset beach,(mainland side) go to the service road along the canal and turn right,I'll be about 200 yards down. Anytime after 5:00 am or earlier, low tides at 7:51 am.

#9 ·
Jim Miller said:
Got it...thanks Adrian

Sooo.. tide moving right to left
A LEFT Handers setup?
(I am a lefty :D ) and need all the help I can get! :whoa:
Jim,

The great thing about two handers is it doesn't matter which way the current is flowing, which way the wind is blowing or which hand you pitch with. :smokin:

The only problem with the Canal is when fish are breaking on the opposite bank - which they are inclinded to do - its a tough wade getting across :hihi:

#15 ·
According to the tide chart on the Army Corps of Engineers website for the Canal (Paul probably knows exactly how off the tide charts really are), at the "Sandwich" end the low this Friday AM will be at about 8 AM, with a good "negative" tide- slacking to high tide around 2 PM- with East flowing current (right to left as you stand along the mainland side of the Canal) beginning around 6 AM and shifting back to West flowing (left to right) around 12:30 PM- again, this is based on the info in the tide chart on the website, not on any personal info/experience on my part.
Will be a good idea to check the wind direction for that morning, as it will obviously factor into cast selection as much (if not more) than the current direction.

#21 ·
successful basser canal day!

We had a good turn out and some fat mid 30" fish were caught,the fish showed sporadically,with lots of large pods of bait,at one time we had sea herring ,mackerel,alewife's and one very badly beaten up menhaden mixed in.

#22 ·
Paul - we heard about the nice fish you got the guys into and also your skills casting the two-hander in tight quarters. I was pissed I had to work, last meeting was 3:30p that day so no chance in hell.

Let me know when the next workable tides are coming and if I can't play hooky I will burn a vacation day if I have to.

#25 ·
Jeff - Years ago, I remember a very generous box of beautifully tied flatwings you sent. I'd like to repay that gesture. I have a demo rod in great shape, 14ft 9/10. You're welcome to use it to explore Spey casting but you'd need to get a line for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.