Fly Fishing Forum banner

Patagonia or Simms?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
Marlwalker or Flats Sneaker?

Best place to buy online?

#2 ·
I am a HUGE Simms fan, also love Patagonia (have the wading rain jacket). As a firm believer in scuba shoes (with arch supports or good soles, $40) I purchased a pair of flats sneakers ($100) recently on a member testimonial because of the arch support problem. Also trying a pair of NRS Navy Seal neoprene boots ($70) as well, I can always use the extra boots for guiding, etc.

They are excellent and provide the foot support I was looking for, but I would caution that there is no beach shoe that can prevent sand entry without a damn good pair of gaitors. After losing so many, I've come up with a solution: duct tape. I wrap the tops of the gaitors with duct tape (color coordinated even :hehe:) and that makes a dramatic difference in prevention of loss as well as entry of sand.

Back on topic, the Simms are excellent. You need to be cautious that with whole sizes only you fit them properly to the waders you plan to wear. For instance, with a 9.5-10 foot I needed 11's. actually, I needed 11.5's but they aren't made. 12's were too loose. Thus I have had some heel abrasion, can be quite painful when you make the death marches I make. I think Dr.Scholls may have a gel heel insert for me, trying out the options currently.

If Marlwalkers make half sizes, that would get me to take another look. Kind of doubt it though.

In any case bring the waders and try them on as a set! If you plan to double them up as wet wading shoes, consider the sock thickness (neoprene, etc) you want to use and bring them too.

One last thing - look for non-marking soles so as not to alienate your friends with boats ;)

#5 ·
I'm still pushing those forum fundraiser gift certificates.
cape cod kayak carries NRS and Chota www.capecodkayak.com
Billington sea carries Simms - only $50 in gift certificates left there.
You get 20% off the gift certificates and it helps the forum cover costs. I don't have a page up for cape cod kayak yet but if you're interested just shoot me an e mail.

#6 ·
I use the redington all water boots.

http://redington.com/foot_tackle.html

A little heavier I think than the simms or patagonias but also a little cheaper and bulletproof. They have much better traction than either the patagonias or simms. You will need gators or Juros soon to be patented duct tape system to keep out sand. I drilled 1/2 inch hex screws in the bottom for even better traction on our PNW beaches but am not sure that will be needed for out there.

If you cannot find them cheaper at one of our sponsors they are going for only 50$ on sierratradingpost at the moment in all sizes.

They are defintely worth it at that price.

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.