Fly Fishing Forum banner

Are you getting any new gear for 02?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  troutdude 
#1 ·
I am planning on getting a new reel for 02. I have decided on the Ross Large Caynon #5 reel. Want to check it out at the Marlboro show. Is anyone else planning on getting new equipment for next season?
FishHawk

#2 ·
Are you asking me ... or Joan?

Joan would say NO WAY, I ..... on the otherhand ... have been known to be very, very weak in my resolve. Actually, I'm at the point that unless someone comes out with some serious bell or whistle I'm done with high-end expenditures.

But, then again, I said that last year and Joan's advised by early November I'd already dropped over $3,000 just on new rods, reels, etc. Had to admit, even I was taken aback as I'd spent an average of $2,000 each of the preceding two years.

But as I say to Joan, better here than in a dark bar getting lap dances.

#3 ·
Re: Are you asking me ... or Joan?

My only planned major purchase will be a reel for a 10 weight. Any suggestions for one that I can get, along with a spare spool for $200 to $250?

fredaevans said:
But as I say to Joan, better here than in a dark bar getting lap dances.
Funny you should say that. When my wife first saw the name of the shop I buy most of my stuff at on a credit card bill she thought it was one of those places and I had to drive her past the shop to prove it wasn't. Now she just goes grrr
:rolleyes: .

#4 ·
I'm probably going to purchase a Redbone rod, either an 8 or 9 weight, for use in the salt. Probably will also get another reel to load up with a quick descent sinking line. Aside from that, I think I'm all set. My wallet will be happier this time around. :p

#7 ·
A 7 wt....no an 8wt......no a 7 wt. Help!
I have neither and want a largemouth/smallmouth
rod. All I know is that a 2 lb smallmouth makes mincemeat out of a 6 wt. I'm thinking- 4 piece about $100 to $140. Any ideas? Reddington? I guess I want a real beating stick.

Lefty

#8 ·
since I will be moving out to the Boston area soon to chase stripers I hope to get the following:

sage rplxi 9wt 3 or 5 piece

ross canyon BG5 with extra spool

a new floater and clear intermediate line.

I guess I will have to convert and start using a stripping basket. Don't use one currently for the beach fishing out here but can see the benefits of having one.

Also a new job that will enable me to pay for all this stuff...

-sean

#9 ·
Yup, its a yak for me too in "02". :)

I already bought two of those Aurora Trillium reels - at that price I couldn't resist a second one after the first arrived.

#10 ·
Funny thing is I was testing some searches on Lycos when that popped up, and I thought... hmm perfect reason to post the link! Glad you liked them, I can't wait to check them out.

I appreciate your comments on the inflatables but one of the advantages for the very light weight is the ability to avoid dragging on sand where the heavier plastic yaks require it when the tide goes out. I also plan to not fish from the yak, so hook penetration is no more an issue than anything else. I rowed a whitewater inflatable for years and never even came close to a hook puncture so feel pretty good about it.

I guess it all depends on what one wants to do with the thing. I want something I can use to get to the outer shoals and others sides of inlets and not have a burden to bear while I'm out there. I am even going to look at those silly little 15 pound deals just in case I want a reel + that oneman yak toy instead of a high end yak. probably won't work out but I know what I am looking for and it's a shoal-shuttle, not an ocean voyager. Heck I could bring that on the Rip Ryder and skip the long paddle! I could carry it up and down stairways and steep banks, parking lot rails and backyard fences ;-) I could make a pair of shoulder straps and wear it like a backpack, and tether it with a nylon rope to my wading belt while I stalk the flats. Who knows - not I at this point.

I could be all wet but I am thinking unconventionally until proven otherwise, trying to see the other side of the coin. Best lesson I ever learned from my mom is that what's not intuitive is sometimes the best answer.

Of course she was saying this to me in a different context, to convince me to find alternative solutions to common dilemmas... as I sat nursing a bloody lip after failing to give in to a bully on some trivial argument. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
:D Juro, You keep talking about an inflatable, and I will have to bring mine to thecasting clave, maybe you could row it around the gym floor.:D Right now I am looking to buy about a 2 hp outboard for mine, would beat rowing all to heck, especially against the tide, and wind. Gee I have even been able to post. Loading still takes 20 to 30m seconds.

#13 ·
Juro check out the Stearns inflatable yak. Not bad and the cost is low around 350. A friend of mine has one and likes it. Drawbacks is that it is not as fast as a hard body yak. A good lightweight yak is the Eddyline Sandpiper . Also, Lincoln Quoddy very light weight yak at 30lbs.. A good local place to check out yaks is Charles River Canoe & Kayak
in Newton.
FishHawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.