Fly Fishing Forum banner

Satan's Kingdom

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
Fished in the evening Sat. Fishing was incredible. Sooooooooooo much fun.

If you're in the CT area, get down to the Farmington.

Right now, the Housy is a bit more inconsistent and difficult to fish with convoluted release schedules and variations in temp. Although with the streak of cool nights, the temp on the Housy has undoubtedly been dropping. Just watch that 1000cfs release. Call for exact times.

If you're heading down, there are several great shops in the area that can supply almost to-the-minute reports.

#2 ·
That sounds like a great trip. I agree the Farmington is a good river. Years ago I caught my first trout, both on bait and later using a fly in it. I've never stopped and fished the Satans Kingdom area though it often has a heavy hatch of inner tubes. There is also good fishing in the New Hartford TMA and the dam at this time of year. The TMA in Farmington may be a bit warm at this time of year, based on my previous experience. Send me an e-mail if you go down again. I might be able to add a few more sports to fish.

#3 ·
John,

You bring up a very good point. That is, that Satan's Kingdom is the drop in point for inner tubers. However, if fished in the evening, you can have the whole river to yourself. Many fly fisherman overlook areas like Satan's Kingdom b/c of their reputation for being overcrowded. It appears this is precisely the reason TO fish these stretches. During the day, b/c of all the tubing activity, the fish never get a chance to rest. Thus, they seem to GORGE at night. Not to mention the non-TMA stretches seem to receive less fishing pressure. Ironic.

Just a theory...passed on to me by someone who's been fishing the river for many years.

What I do know is that we almost passed up on Satan's that night...like most others. Glad we didn't.

Next time I'm heading out in that direction, I'll send you a line.

#6 ·
Craig (07-27-2001 10:19 a.m.):
I have fished the Farmington once. We fished a section futher down river from the church pool. Is that close to the area you call Satan's Kingdom?
It's within a 10-15 minute drive. Satans Kingdom is a stretch of water that, to me at least starts when the Farmington river goes under rt 44 and ends upstream of the junction of rts 44 & 179. The stretch is loved by tubers for its white water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.