Fly Fishing Forum banner

salt water licence

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Just a reminder to those planning on attending the 2 hand gathering at the canal,make sure you have your licence,this is a public area with lots of access for the fish cops to check you out.:D

#11 ·
John...the processing fee for the permit us "seasoned anglers" don't need, is $1.75.
It must be to pay their computer to do a 5 minute activity...or...they will have a record of who is terrorizing the stripers. :biggrin:

Would be useful if they had an optional questionaire or info format that we could report observations.

Can't wait to see someone slosh out a mile and a half on NM to check my permit.
Ron

#12 ·
Processing Fee

John

I guess I have been living in MA way too long...

Just assumed that NOTHING is free in MA... the internet processing fee is $1.55
for a FREE license if you are over a certain age....sorry Warren!

Not sure if the fee applies if you pick up the license at MA sites set up for that... but the most convenient site I found was Gloucester and with today's gas prices it would have cost much more to get there and back... not sure why they didn't allow local town halls to give out the license?

#13 ·
Jim -

Yes I only had it half right, the fed don't need anything anymore but the state does.

NEW FOR 2011
Starting January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration from any state or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY registered and do not need to take further action. The fee for registering beginning January 1, 2011 is $15 for most people. Learn more.
Please be sure to follow all laws and regulations in the waters in which you are fishing.

#14 ·
Federal vs MA license...

I hope I don't further add to any confusion but I looked in the FAQ section of
the MA Saltwater License site and found this... hope it helps:

FAQ:

Do I need to sign up for the National Saltwater Angler Registry as I did in 2010 (and pay an additional $15 starting in 2011)?

No, the Federal permit no longer covers you to fish in Massachusetts waters. Your MA permit allows you to fish in MA and Federal waters as well as land your fish in Massachusetts. However, if you fish for tuna, billfish, swordfish, and/or sharks you will need a Highly Migratory Species permit from the Federal government.

#15 ·
Striblue quote: "Actually, I don't need to give the government anymore info than they already have on me."
For the record, I have it on reliable infornmation....that the government, including all secret and semi-secret agencies....have reviewed all the data they have on me....they reportedly fell asleep...I think that I may be the reason why air traffic controllers are falling asleep. :hihi:
Ron

#16 ·
I have reliable information that the new law prohibiting hitchhiking in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was triggered by a rash of motor vehicle accidents they traced to one intrepid senior flyfisherman, who would wear his "bionic thumb" while walking along the side of the roads from one fishing hole to another.....said intrepid senior flyfisherman is now a fugitive from the law, with a multimillion dollar bounty on his head.....any information that might lead to the apprehension of this dangerous menace to society should be given immediately (and anonymously, of course) to the Massachusetts State Police:devil:

Paxton said:
Striblue quote: "Actually, I don't need to give the government anymore info than they already have on me."
For the record, I have it on reliable infornmation....that the government, including all secret and semi-secret agencies....have reviewed all the data they have on me....they reportedly fell asleep...I think that I may be the reason why air traffic controllers are falling asleep. :hihi:
Ron

#17 ·
juro said:
NEW FOR 2011
Starting January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration from any state or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY registered
Juro,

Thanks for posting that, very informative! Up until this moment I (like many others I'm sure) fishing around the NE thought that any reciprocity was granted by any state, only to other adjoining states - e.g. I reside in NY but can fish CT salt waters free if I hold the NY license - but - cannot fish RI waters since NY is not adjacent to RI. So I was planning on purchasing a Massachussetts license for this season, until just now...

cheers
Harold

#18 ·
Harold,

I may have passed on the intial confusion I had to you :)

As the MA SW permit is new in 2011, I went to look it up while at work, excited about the herring I saw during lunch. Google put me onto the link (above post) and I misinterpreted the Federal permit == state permit.

Bottom line = Feds need nothing if licensed in most states BUT

MA still wants their $10, period.

There fore if you are NOT licensed w/ SW somewhere other than Hawaii, Jersey, USVI or Puerto Rico you still DO have to get the FEDERAL permit.

WTF!

#20 ·
flydoc said:
I have reliable information that the new law prohibiting hitchhiking in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was triggered by a rash of motor vehicle accidents they traced to one intrepid senior flyfisherman, who would wear his "bionic thumb" while walking along the side of the roads from one fishing hole to another.....said intrepid senior flyfisherman is now a fugitive from the law, with a multimillion dollar bounty on his head.....any information that might lead to the apprehension of this dangerous menace to society should be given immediately (and anonymously, of course) to the Massachusetts State Police:devil:

I have it on good authority that his son would turn him on for 50 bucks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.